Does your organization manage a fleet of vehicles? Do you receive deliveries at your facility? Looking for a simple way to reduce your organization’s environmental footprint and save some money?
Avoid unnecessary engine idling.
Do your part. Create an idle reduction policy today!
Establishing an idling reduction policy can help you:
Protect Employee Health
- Vehicle exhaust contains more than 40 hazardous air pollutants and carcinogens.
- Studies show exposure to vehicle exhaust increases the risk of respiratory illness and cancer.
- Prolonged exposure to vehicle exhaust can aggravate asthma and bronchitis.
- Vehicle exhaust concentrates at ground level and can enter buildings through air intakes, doors and windows.
Save on Fuel and Maintenance Expenses
- Restarting a gasoline vehicle uses less fuel than idling for 10 seconds.
- Fuel injected gasoline engines don’t need to be warmed, while modern diesel engines require no more than 3 minutes of warming.
- Idling causes twice the wear on internal parts compared to driving at highway speeds and can reduce the operating life of engine oil by 75%.
Improve Air Quality
- Idling contributes to major air quality issues in Louisville, including unhealthy levels of fine particulate matter, ground-level ozone, and toxic air contaminants.
- Cleaner air improves quality of life for all Louisvillians and can encourage for economic development.
- Taking action and establishing a policy is an easy way to raise your organization’s “green” profile.
We can provide program support and materials at no cost to reduce unnecessary idling at your facility including:
- Idle Reduction Policy templates for:
- Letters to communicate your policy to:
- Information to help promote your policy including:
Want to learn more about how your business can benefit from joining the Idle Free Louisville campaign? Click here to view Idling Reduction Toolkit: Turn the key for cleaner fleets, PDF.