Get a "Share the Road" License Plate
You've probably seen the Share the Road license plates around town. Any licensed driver in Kentucky can order one. Almost a third are issued right here in Jefferson County!
Why Would You Want One?
Louisville Metro's bike program, Bike Louisville, submits a grant application each fall to the Kentucky Bike and Bikeway Commission to receive some of the funding raised by the Share the Road license plates so we can create bike safety campaigns here in town. So far we've created:
- Bike Safety banners at all local drivers licensing branches.
- A Share the Road Video has been used to target over 16,000 people who attend traffic school in Kentucky each year.
- Information on the importance of having lights and reflective gear in our See and be Seen campaign. 200 white and 200 red lights have been handed out.
- The Bike Sense Cops for Kids Program (See them on Facebook). Over 400 bicycle helmets have been used for this campaign.
- Share the Road Presentations where a bicycle commuting expert will visit your company for a free lunch and learn.
How do you get one?
Specialty plates can be ordered via the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet's website. Or in Louisville, just visit one of the following Jefferson County Clerk office locations.