Local Bicycling Organizations
If you want to learn how to be a better cyclist, ride with friends or get involved in bicycling advocacy, there are organizations in Louisville Metro for you.
- This website, Bike Louisville, is quickly becoming THE source for up-to-date information about Louisville Metro's committment to cycling in Louisville. Put us in your "favorites" and check back often for information about bicycle infrastructure improvements and events that support a bike friendly community.
- Louisville Bicycle Club (formerly Louisville Wheelmen) is a cycling club that serves the greater Louisville metropolitan area, including Southern Indiana. According to their website, They, "...are dedicated to promoting the sport of bicycling and advocating for the rights of all cyclists. Since our original founding in the late 1890s, the Louisville Bicycle Club has been one of the most active and progressive clubs in the Midwest."
- Bicycling for Louisville is a non-profit organization that promotes and enhances bicycling in our community, through education, advocacy, technical advising, and research. They have a partnership with Bike Louisville to offer bike safety classes.
The Broke Down Bike Club is a casual bicycle club. Their main goal is to have fun while on a bike and with others. They enjoy the occasional pub time, conversation, and exploring Louisville while on a bike. Their membership is completely open to every type of person with any type of bike. Currently their members include people from downtown, Clifton area, and St. Matthews; and all ages welcome. In the summer months they ride 3 to 4 times a week. Members post when and what type of ride on their face book group site. The length of rides are from 10 miles to 20 miles with stops as needed.
- CART -The Coalition for the Advancement of Regional Transportation is a community service organization serving Kentucky and Southern Indiana. CART was founded in 1992 and is a vocal force in transportation planning for Louisville and Kentucky.
- The Kentucky Mountain Biking Association is an organization dedicated to mountain biking issues throughout Kentucky.
- Southern Indiana Wheelmen is a bicycle club which sponsors the popular Harvest Homecoming Bicycle Tour.
- CFD’s Bicycle Cub meets twice monthly (1st and 3rd Saturday-10:30 AM-12PM) at First Gethsemane Church at 1159 Algonquin Parkway, Louisville, KY. The club consists of new and intermediate riders. Riders will learn and develop safe and fun riding skills. Participants ride short to medium courses (1-10 miles) throughout the city of Louisville. Other club events include, expert guest speakers, workshops on safety, repair, health benefits, and many other fun topics. Responsibilities as a club member include completing a waiver form, getting a doctor’s recommendation, club fee ($2), personal bicycle, personal safety equipment, and personal riding attire.