History

Community Action Agencies

Community Action Agencies were founded in 1964 by the Economic Opportunity Act and signed into law by President Lyndon Johnson. Community Action Programs were defined as those which “provide services, assistance, and other activities of sufficient scope and size to give promise of progress toward elimination of poverty or a cause or causes of poverty through developing employment activities, improving human performance, motivation, and productivity, or bettering the conditions under which people live, learn, and work.”


Community Action Agencies grew to provide essential services in each community and are, in many places, the sole provider of assistance to low-income individuals. Nationally, Community Actions have grown to 1,100 organizations assisting 17 million individuals annually.
Primary support for Community Action agencies comes from the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) administered by the Department of Health and Human Services. This grant was established in 1981 as a consolidation of existing anti-poverty grants. The Department of Health and Human Services also oversees the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) which is administered on a local level by Community Actions. This grant was also established in 1981 to provide essential energy assistance to low-income individuals.


Louisville Metro Community Action Partnership

Louisville Metro Community Action Partnership was founded by in August 1965. The Community Action Commission was established by the governing bodies for Louisville and Jefferson County to assume the responsibility of planning and operating the local anti-poverty program. In 1975, the CAC became a public agency (and the name was changed to the Community Action Agency). The Board at that point consisted of the then Mayor of Louisville, Harvey Sloan, the County Judge/Executive, and 27 board members as the agency’s administering board.

Louisville Metro Community Action Partnership programs have been housed in many different places. For many years 1018 South 7th Street, where Simmons College is presently located, was the headquarters of LMCAP. 1200 South Third Street then became LMCAP’s home until 2007.

In 2007, LMCAP moved to 810 Barret Avenue. Services are provided in this location as well as at satellite Newburg and South Dixie sites.

Hundreds of thousands of Louisville Metro residents have been assisted towards economic empowerment by Louisville Metro Community Action Partnership. In 2012, LMCAP revised its mission statement to reflect the self-sufficiency mission of our programming. This new mission statement, “To work within our community to reduce the causes and conditions of poverty and promote self-sufficiency, one family at a time” shows the lasting message of Community Action and the hope that is embodied in our mission.