Free Tax Services


Louisvillians have access to nearly 45 free tax preparation sites across the city where trained and IRS-certified volunteers will assist you with your taxes and help you apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).
Louisville Metro Community Services and Revitalization is proud to partner with Louisville Asset Building Coalition (LABC) and AARP in promoting this information as well as sponsoring mobile sites at the Urban Government Center (click here).


Volunteers at these sites will help determine if you are eligible for the EITC, a refundable federal tax credit for low- and middle-income working individuals and families. Eligibility for the EITC is based on your income, as is the amount of your credit.

Working families who earn up to approximately $50,000 may be eligible, and credits can be as high as $6,044. (more)

Click here for more details about Louisville Asset Building Coalition’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites and services. VITA sites are generally located at community centers, libraries, schools, government centers, and other convenient locations. Most locations offer free electronic filing.

For a listing of AARP Tax Aide locations in Louisville, click here.

Click here for a quick reference of free VITA and AARP tax preparation sites in Louisville.  Also call 2-1-1 to find more information on free tax preparation sites near you.

What documents should you bring to the tax preparation site?
  • Valid picture ID
  • Copy of 2013 tax return (if you have it)
  • Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for you, your spouse and any children born before December 31, 2013. (If available, bring the Social Security cards or ITIN letters to ensure the information is copied correctly onto the tax return).
  • Income documentation including:
    • W-2 forms from all jobs worked in 2013
    • All 1099 forms showing other income received in 2013
    • A blank check for direct deposit of your refund. If you don’t have a checking account, bring your bank account name, number and the 9-digit American Bankers’ Association (ABA) routing number. Contact your bank if you need assistance identifying the ABA number.
    • If you don’t belong to any bank, you can still use the free tax preparation services at any of these sites, have your taxes filed electronically, and the IRS will mail you a check if you have earned a refund.

If any of the following apply to you, take documentation with you:

  • Child care expenses, including the provider’s address and federal ID #
  • Mortgage company statements
  • Adoption expenses
  • Alimony paid or received
  • Any notices received from the IRS or state tax office
  • Property tax bills
  • College tuition and student loan interest statements
  • Additions forms of income such as:
    • Prizes and awards
    • Scholarship and fellowships
    • Lottery/gambling winnings

If you lost or do not have all of these items, you can still get your taxes prepared. Call the IRS toll-free helpline at (800) 829-1040 to find out what you need to do and how to obtain replacement documents.