The following requirements shall be met before a food establishment permit can be issued:
All Construction Plans should be submitted to the Plans Processor of the Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness:
Louisville Metro Public Health & Wellness
444 S. 5th Street
Louisville, KY 40202
Sample Floor Plan
Supplemental Information Requirements
Please submit seven copies of plans for new and existing construction.
Plans must include:
1. Plan Application form (PDF)
2. Supplemental Health Department information sheet.
3. One (1) site utility plan showing location of building and site utilities, including sanitary sewer connection with the diameter of the connection, is required for all new buildings and attached to each set of plans.
4. Floor plan layout, mechanical schematics, construction materials and finish schedules. Click here for a Sample Floor Plan.
5. Equipment list, which includes the types, manufacturers, model numbers, locations, dimensions, performance capacities and installation specifications.
6. Site plan that includes the property lines, adjacent streets, location of structure(s), outdoor seating areas, parking areas, dumpster area and loading area (you may print a base map from www.lojic.org & add the required features).
7. All new submittals must include 1 (one) full facility set of construction plans with specs & six (6) plumbing plans with isometrics. The plans must be legible or new plans will be required before the plan review process begins. Click here for Submittal Information Requirements.
8. One (1) copy of the current intended full menu.
9. Metropolitan Sewer District’s Grease Trap -Sanitary sewers must be separated from kitchen waste sewers. Kitchen waste sewers must incorporate a grease trap as mandated and sized by MSD. Kitchen waste sewers discharging into a private sewage treatment plant must have the grease trap sized by the Health Department. There are special requirements for pits and sand filters. Contact MSA with questions 540-6000.
MSD Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) Program: Requirements for Commercial Food Service Establishments
MSD Fats, Oils & Grease Management GuidelinesReminders for construction:
How You Can Help – Fats, Oils, Grease
- Walls, floors, ceilings, and storage shelves in food prep and food storage areas must be hard, smooth, non-absorbent, and easily cleanable.
- Self-closing doors required for restrooms.
- Hand sink required for all preperation and warewash areas.
- Covered waste receptacle required for women’s restroom
- Hot and cold running water at all receptacles
Essential equipment requirements
- Mop sink
- Hand sink(s)
- Three (3) compartment sink with drain boards
- Restrooms as required by the Kentucky Plumbing Code
- Back-flow preventer
* Laundry facilities shall be physically separated from food prep and/or storage areas
** Mechanical dishwashers are optional