It is our mission to reduce the prevalence of childhood lead poisoning in Metro Louisville through primary prevention and early identification. For over 30 years, the Louisville Metro Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP) has provided lead screening, public health surveillance, case management,education, and environmental inspection services to the community.
CLPPP works with various partners in the community to prevent childhood lead poisoning. Activities include outreach to all Louisville neighborhoods to advocate for a lead safe environment for all children.
- Louisville Metro Inspections, Licenses, & Permits (IPL): enforces housing codes in Metro Louisville. LMDPHW CLPPP refers complaints on houses with perceived lead hazards to IPL for action.
- Louisville Metro Housing & Community Development (LMHCD): provides assistance to clients identified by LMDPHW CLPPP for renovation/abatement via a HUD grant (Lead Safe Louisville).
- Louisville Water Company: tests water samples for LMDPHW CLPPP
- Louisville Housing Authority: assures Section 8 housing units are lead safe
- Children and Youth Clinic: provides treatment to children with elevated blood lead levels
- Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Specialists: provides treatment to children with elevated blood lead levels
Lead exposure in young children can cause :
- reduced IQ
- reduced attention span
- impaired growth
- reading and learning disabilities
- hearing loss
- and a range of other health and behavioral
Most exposures occur in older homes or buildings where lead-based paint has deteriorated because of deferred maintenance or where lead hazards have been created through painting or renovation done without using lead-safe work practices. Prevention of lead poisoning can be accomplished by eliminating lead based paint hazards before children are exposed.Metro Louisville's goal is to eliminate this environmental hazard by working to make the housing lead-safe, and by improving the detection and treatment of lead poisoning in children.
Common Sources of Lead Exposure
Frequently Asked Questions
Louisville Metro Health Department
Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
400 East Gray St. Louisville, KY 40202