The Louisville Metro Health Department Office of Vital Statistics is located at 400 East Gray Street in Room 318B.
Hours of operation are Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
For specific questions, please call (502) 574-6596 and the Local Registrar will be happy to assist you.
Services Provided at 400 E. Gray Street:
- Declaration of paternity (by appointment only)
- Registration of births from home deliveries (by appointment)
- Provision of legal forms for funeral homes, nursing facilities, coroner’s office and hospitals
- Viewing of microfilm for information on births from 1911 to 1988 and on deaths from 1911 to 1993
- Application forms are available for certified copies of birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates. Applications must be completed and sent to Frankfort with the appropriate fee (birth $10; death $6; marriage and divorce $6 after the year 1956); allow four weeks for delivery.
- These application forms may be printed from this website by clicking on one of these links: Birth Death Marriage (PDF)
Expedited certificates can be obtained by two other methods from Frankfort:
(1) you can drive to Frankfort and get it while you wait (2) if you have a major credit card [Master, Visa, Discover, or Debit] you can call toll free 24 hours 1-877-817-7362 and receive it within 7-10 days (overnight express shipping costs an additional $33.25)
IF YOU ARE REQUESTING BIRTH OR DEATH INFORMATION PRIOR TO 1911:
If you’re seeking to examine records of births and deaths prior to 1911, they have been transferred to the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Ky., 40602.
IF YOU ARE REQUESTING INFORMATION ON GENEALOGY RESEARCH:
Researchers may access the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives on the World Wide Web @: http://www.kdla.ky.gov. The library is an excellent source of older documents and records when searching the family tree. The Kentucky Historical Society, PO Box H, Frankfort, Ky. 40602 has records that cover the period from 1851 to 1862, (502) 564-3016.