Regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health. It can help:
- Control your weight
- Reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- Reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Reduce your risk of some cancers
- Strengthen your bones and muscles
- Improve your mental health and mood
- Improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you're an older adult
- Increase your chances of living longer
Physical activity can improve endrurance, flexibility, and strength and can include things like walking the dog or working in the garden.
It's never too late to get more active. Every little bit counts and it doesn't have to be strenuous to be healthy. Just start slowly and build gradually. The time to begin is right now! Build a little physical activity into your day!
Become an advocate for physical activity.
The Mayor’s Healthy Hometown Movement Active Living Committee works to make active living a way of life that integrates opportunities for physical activity into daily routines and promotes active environments and transportation. If you’d like more information about our Active Living Committee, contact us.
Click on the links below for additional information.