1. How long is the selection process?
The selection process can last anywhere from three (3) months to six (6) months depending upon scheduling issues related to the testing of our applicants.
2. How long is the academy?
The recruit academy usually lasts approximately 24 weeks depending upon the time of the year the recruit class is in session.
3. Is the academy a "live in" academy?
No, recruits have the ability to go home after training each day.
4. Will I receive pay and benefits while in the academy?
Yes, see the benefits and pay scales for the amount of money and benefits received while in training.
5. When will I receive my test scores for the written and oral civil service examinations?
You will receive your test scores approximately one week after testing.
6. How long after graduation do I have to wait to be in a specialized unit such as SWATT, Hostage Negotiations, Bomb Squad or be eligible for a detective position?
This depends on the unit to which the officer applies; however, most specialized units require three years of service before applying.
7. Do you have to live in Louisville to be hired?
No, there is no form of residency requirement for employment with the Louisville Metro Police Department.