In the event of an emergency you may need to be self-reliant for days without utilities and electricity, water service, access to a supermarket or local services, or perhaps even without response from police, fire, or EMS.
Most of us can survive without electricity; however, we must have safe drinking water to live. Louisville Water offers the following guidelines for safe water storage:
- Purchase proper drinking water storage containers from a sporting goods store. Do not use old milk jugs or soft drink containers. They are nearly impossible to disinfect.
- Thoroughly sterilize proper containers by soaking them in a solution of 1-part liquid chlorine bleach to 3-parts tap water for several minutes.
- Rinse containers with scalding water.
- Fill containers completely with cold tap water. Leave no air.
- Seal the container.
- Clearly label, date and store in a cool, dark area.
When properly stored, Louisville pure tap® will remain safe to drink for about two months. Water stored for longer than two months should be boiled or disinfected before use.
For more information on how to prepare for emergencies, visit www.fema.gov.