To educate our community in fire and home safety while preserving our rich history
The Fire History Collection Includes:
- A rare 1892 Hale Water Tower, one of twelve chemically-raised water towers built in the United States by Hale.
- A working vintage communications system featuring "The Joker."
- A photo collection illustrating the history of the nation's third oldest professional fire department.
- Memorabilia, including uniforms, helmets, badges and tools of the profession.
The Learning Center
Accidents, including those related to fire, are the leading cause of death among children. Firefighter-EMT's now respond to accidents and other medical emergencies. Learning Center programs for young children, the disabled and senior citizens focus on fire prevention and home safety.
- Video presentations and hands-on learning opportunities for all ages feature:
- When to use the "911" System
- Proper placement and care of smoke detectors.
- How to develop an emergency evacuation plan.
- The identification and correction of potentially dangerous areas and items throughout the home.
- A trip to the Learning Center will educate visitors to the importance of a comprehensive pro-active approach to complete household safety.
How to Find Us
The Learning Center is located behind the First District Fire House, just through this traffic light on the left side of the street at 3228 River Park Drive. Map
If you are coming from a locale NORTH of Louisville:
I-65 South to
I-64 West to
I-264 East to
Exit 2 (River Park Drive and Muhammad Ali Blvd.).
Turn right at the end of the ramp onto Muhammad Ali.
Turn left onto 34th Street and follow to the second intersection (River Park).
If you are coming from a locale SOUTH of Louisville:
I-65 North to
I-264 West to
Exit 2 (River Park Drive and Muhammad All Blvd.).
Go straight at the end of the ramp to the first stop sign (Vermont St.).
Turn left and follow to the 4-way stop (34th Street).
Turn left again and follow to the first traffic light (River Park).
And When To Come...
The Learning Center is open Monday through Friday,
9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.,
To schedule an appointment,
please call 502-574-3731.