Thursday December 18, 2003
Mayor Jerry Abramson today announced that the traditional community New Year’s Eve celebration will have a family twist this year.
Louisville Metro Government, along with corporate sponsor Radio Disney 680 AM, will host a free, fun-filled and family oriented New Year’s Eve Celebration at the Louisville Gardens.
“A lot of families prefer staying together to ring in the New Year,” Abramson said. “So, forget the babysitter, pack up the kids and grandkids and join us at the Gardens for what we know is going to be a fun-filled New Year’s Eve celebration.”
Details for the event include:
· RADIO Disney’s Kid Band (“Local Access”) and dancers will perform on the main stage at the Gardens from 8 p.m. until midnight.
· Members of RADIO Disney’s eXtreme Team will lead games, giveaways and continuous activities for children of all ages throughout the evening.
· Kids can choose from karaoke, face painting, sand art, inflatable games and rock wall climbing.
· A separate Play House and coloring contest station will be set up for smaller children.
· Two special theater areas will show newly released Disney movies – “Freaky Friday” and “Santa Clause 2.”
· A variety of prizes will be given away throughout the evening, including CDs, DVDs, VHSs and Yomega Yo Yos.
· Complimentary New Year’s hats, Mardi Gras beads and noisemakers will be distributed, while supplies last.
· Food and non-alcoholic drinks will be available for purchase.
· Then at midnight, Abramson will lead the countdown to the New Year. Balloons will drop from the ceiling and confetti cannons will fire to mark the beginning of 2004.
· The event is free and open to the public.
Some area parking lot operators may charge a fee, but parking in the adjacent Gardens Garage and on adjoining streets will be free. The Gardens, which is located between Sixth Street and Armory Place on Muhammad Ali Boulevard, is also TARC accessible.
For further information about the celebration, contact the Mayor’s Office for Community Relations and Events at 574-5220.