Mayor Greg Fischer Newsroom
Abramson Delivers ‘Foundation for Our Future’ Plan to Fix Long-Deferred Maintenance
Wednesday July 28, 2004
Mayor Jerry Abramson today delivered a detailed plan to invest $25 million over the next three years to replace crumbling sidewalks, renovate playgrounds, repair government buildings and firehouses and resolve scores of other long-deferred maintenance needs across the community.
Abramson forwarded the “Foundation for Our Future” capital program list to the Metro Council for their consideration. Abramson proposes selling bonds to finance the maintenance backlog, taking advantage of low-interest rates and Louisville Metro Government’s outstanding credit rating.
“The Foundation for Our Future program is more than just a maintenance plan,” Abramson said. “It’s an investment in safety, security, economic development, quality of life and responsible stewardship of our public assets.”
Abramson proposed the capital program in late May as part of his budget plan and pledged to deliver a comprehensive list to the Metro Council within two months. The list was derived from the priority needs set by department and agency directors.
“By and large, this list addresses problems that will only get worse and cost taxpayers more if they are neglected,” Abramson said.
Highlights of the program include:
· Firehouse Repairs – $1 million
· Heating and Air Conditioning Replacements and Repairs – $1.98 million
· Roof Replacements and Repairs – $1.06 million
· Downtown Infrastructure Needs (streets, sidewalks, etc.) – $1.67 million · Suburban Infrastructure Needs (streets, sidewalks, etc.) – $1.67 million
· Neighborhood Sidewalk Repairs – $700,000
· Park Playgrounds, Athletic Fields, Pools and Other Facility Needs – $2.15 million
· Golf Course Clubhouses and Path Renovations – $2.15 million
· Jail Locking System Replacement and Other Repairs – $1.32 million
· Zoo Elephant Exhibit Renovation – $1.1 million ·
Health Department Tuberculosis Clinic Renovation – $500,000
· Fire Alarm and Security System Upgrades – $450,000