Tuesday December 28, 2004
Mayor Jerry Abramson today announced that families can once again ring in the new year together with an evening of free children’s activities, games, movies and music.
Louisville Metro Government will host a fun-filled and family-oriented New Year’s Eve celebration at the Kentucky International Convention Center, Dec. 31 beginning at 6 p.m.
“There are a number of New Year’s Eve activities for adults around town, but we wanted to provide an opportunity for families to celebrate together,” Abramson said. “The family-friendly focus was such a hit last year that we’re adding even more exciting elements and starting earlier to accommodate families with kids of all ages.”
Kosair Children’s Hospital is a contributing sponsor of the event.
“While our hospital is known for caring for sick and injured children, we also are involved in a number of injury prevention and safety efforts,” said Doug Eighmey, president and administrator of Kosair Children’s Hospital. “One of these efforts includes our partnership with the mayor and Louisville Metro to offer a safe and fun evening for children and their parents on New Year's Eve.”
Radio Disney will again provide much of the entertainment and activities for the evening. “There’s nowhere else we’d rather be on Dec. 31,” said John Salzman, Radio Disney station manager. “When they were lined up at the doors and across the street hours before the official opening time last year, we knew we were onto something the community wanted.”
Details for the event include:
- Radio Disney’s hottest local bands and the Radio Disney Dancers will perform on the main stage from 6 p.m. until midnight.
- Radio Disney’s eXtreme Team will lead games, giveaways and continuous activities for children of all ages throughout the evening.
- Kids of all ages can choose from karaoke, face painting, sand art, inflatable games and rock wall climbing.
- A separate area for smaller children will feature a playhouse and coloring contest station.
- Two “movie theater” areas will feature some great movies that parents and kids can enjoy together all evening.
- A variety of prizes will be given away throughout the event, including some of the latest Disney CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes and Yomega Yo-Yos.
- Complimentary New Year’s hats, beads and noisemakers will be distributed, while supplies last.
- Food and non-alcoholic drinks will be available for purchase.
- At midnight, Abramson will lead the countdown to the New Year. Balloons will drop from the ceiling and confetti cannons will fire to mark the beginning of 2005.
The event is free and open to the public. The Kentucky International Convention Center is located downtown at Fourth and Jefferson streets, 221 S. Fourth St. The New Year’s Eve celebration is taking place in halls A and B and the Cascade Ballroom near the Fourth St. lobby. The Kentucky International Convention Center is waiving the space-rental fees that normally would cost approximately $20,000 for such an event.
Free parking is availably in the nearby Galleria Garage on 5th and Liberty streets, and at metered spaces on adjoining streets. There are also a number of nearby privately operated parking garages and surface lots that may charge to park. The convention center is also TARC accessible. For further information about the Louisville Metro New Year’s Eve celebration, contact the Mayor’s Office for Community Relations and Events at 574-5220.