Tuesday February 14, 2006
Whether it’s a corporate event, neighborhood block party, charity walk or church picnic, individuals that plan any type of event in Louisville can learn about the services available to make their activity successful at the second Mayor’s Event Expo. The expo is set for Saturday, Feb. 18, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Kentucky International Convention Center, Hall 1-A.
"Louisville is a wonderful city for celebrations, and we want to help our residents host successful and enjoyable events," Mayor Jerry Abramson said. "The Event Expo will bring together in one place all the Metro Government services available for events, as well as provide an opportunity to network with many event vendors and suppliers."
Attendees can learn about city government’s event services, such as:
· Getting a street-closure permit;
· Requirements regarding food permits or alcohol sales;
· Reserving a Metro Parks shelter;
· Renting bleachers, waste baskets or portable toilets;
· Permits required to hold a parade; · Charitable gaming requirements. In addition, attendees can pick up planning tips and other information from a variety of companies that provide event services such as caterers, decorators, novelty items, audio-visual services, staging, event venues, printing and entertainers. Some caterers will provide samples and other event suppliers will provide demonstrations including jugglers and musicians.
The exhibitor fair portion of the expo is free to attend, and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Attendees will receive a copy of the 2006 Mayor’s Special Events Handbook, copies of 2006 event permits and continental breakfast. For a $25 registration free, attendees also may participate in a number of educational workshops from 12:30 to 3 p.m. Topics include such as event marketing, sponsorship attraction, and training volunteers.
For more information, call MetroCall 311 or visit www.louisvilleky.gov. Registration forms may be downloaded from the Community Relations page on the LouisvilleKy.gov website. If you go…
Mayor’s Event Expo
Saturday, Feb. 18, 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Kentucky International Convention Center, Hall 1-A
Fourth and Jefferson sts. Parking:
Free parking is availably in the nearby Galleria Garage on 5th and Liberty streets, and at metered spaces on adjoining streets. There are also a number of nearby privately operated parking garages and surface lots that may charge to park. The convention center is also accessible by TARC routes. 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.:
Exhibitor’s Fair, Free Registration 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m:
Breakout Sessions and Box Lunch, $25 Registration Concurrent Sessions I (1 to 2 p.m.)
· Marketing – how to promote your event
· Sponsorship – how to attract event sponsors
· Food and Alcohol Regulations – by Kentucky State Fair Board
· Risk Management – by Louisville Metro Police Department Concurrent Session II (2 to 3 p.m.)
· Event Management – plan and execute a successful event
· Volunteers – how to attract, train and retain event volunteers.
· Media – how to attract media coverage for your event