Wednesday March 12, 2008
Firehouses, Firing Range, Road Improvements Among $41.5 Million in Bond Projects to Start Soon
From building new firehouses to widening suburban roads, more than $40 million of construction projects and capital improvements will soon be underway.
The projects were included in Mayor Jerry Abramson’s fiscal year 2008 budget and approved by the Metro Council. The council is expected to vote Thursday night on an ordinance that authorizes the administration to sell bonds to finance the projects, which total $41.5 million.
The capital projects include $4 million to build three new firehouses to replace aging stations in the Clifton, Portland and Beechmont neighborhoods. Construction of the Clifton and Portland firehouses is scheduled to begin this spring and the Beechmont station this summer.
Construction will begin later this year on a major expansion of the Louisville Metro Police Department’s firearms training center. The bond issue includes an additional $1 million to help fund the expansion, including 24 firing lanes, a classroom, ammunition storage and office space.
The $2.62 million for Metro Parks includes money for repairs and a new filtration system for the Mary T. Meagher indoor pool, upgrades at the Sun Valley Recreation Center, athletic field improvements and new playground equipment.
Other capital projects include $2.51 million for downtown and urban street improvements, $1 million for suburban traffic light synchronization and nearly $1 million for MetroSafe radio infrastructure.
$17 million in Suburban Road Improvements Also Included
The bond ordinance also paves the way for $17 million worth of projects in the city’s Suburban Road Improvement Partnership. Louisville Metro Government is matching payments made by private developers to help finance the road safety improvements needed as the result of new housing developments in the southeast quadrant of the city.
The systems development charge paid by developers is $1,000 for single family homes, $500 for patio homes and $250 for apartments in the designated area.
The first phase of improvements, about $7 million in projects, will begin this spring and are slated for completion later this year. The second phase in FY09 would include $6 million; the third phase in FY10 would include $4 million.
Bonded Capital Projects Included in the FY07-08 Budget
- Three new firehouses (Clifton, Portland, Beechmont) $4 million
- Louisville Zoo’s Glacier Run $3.5 million
- Parks improvements $2.62 million
- Downtown / urban street improvements $2.51 million
- Fleet consolidation $2 million
- Facilities improvements $1.85 million
- Police firearms training center expansion $1 million
- Traffic signal synchronization $1 million
- Downtown land acquisition (Center City District) $1 million
- Parks land acquisition (MVP Zone) $1 million
- MetroSafe Phase III radio infrastructure $949,000
- New Animal Services center $750,000
- Zoo maintenance $750,000
- Waterfront Park / Belle of Louisville $325,000
- Library maintenance $300,000
- Technology upgrades $263,800
- U of L Papa John’s Stadium expansion $250,000
- Riverview Park expansion $250,000
- COOL Corridor improvements $150,000