Monday March 21, 2011
Announces citywide public hearings
Mayor Greg Fischer today named the 23 members of the Merger 2.0 Task Force that includes representatives from businesses, small cities, urban and suburban fire districts and citizens at large.
The Mayor also announced four public hearings during which citizens can speak directly to the task force about changes they want to see in their government.
“Over the next several months, the task force will undertake the difficult but important task of examining what changes need implementing for the next decade of merger,” Fischer said. “Just as computer software needs upgrading and improving to stay current so, too, does government merger.”
The task force will focus on four specific areas -- Fire & EMS; Solid Waste & Recycling; Public Safety; and Transportation & Infrastructure – with a goal of making recommendations to the Mayor by October.
The first meeting of the task force will be 3 p.m. March 25th Metro Hall, Room 106. That will be mainly an organizational session.
The four public hearings are:
· 7 p.m. April 4th at the Kentucky Center for African-American Heritage, 18th and Ali
· 7 p.m. April 11th at Southwest Government Center, 7219 Dixie Highway
· 7 p.m. April 13th at Central Government Center, 7201 Outer Loop
· 7 p.m. April 18 at East Government Center, 200 Juneau Drive
Former Louisville Mayor and County Judge-Executive Dave Armstrong and former County Judge-Executive Rebecca Jackson are co-chairs of the task force. The other members are:
· David Allgood, citizen at large
· Metro Councilman Rick Blackwell
· Ish Burks, citizen at large
· Charlie Clephas, Greater Louisville Central Labor Council
· Dolores Delahanty, citizen at large
· Todd Eberle, the Mayor of Prospect
· Chief Greg Frederick, Louisville Fire
· Col. Yvette Gentry, representing Chief Robert White
· Councilwoman Cheri Bryant Hamilton
· Julie Hardesty, representing the County Attorney
· Ellen Hesen, chief of staff for Mayor Fischer
· Councilman Dan Johnson
· Anchorage Fire Chief Walter Lage
· Jeffersontown Fire Chief Randy Lawson
· Kristen Miller, chief of staff for Louisville EMS
· Codes and Regulations Director Jim Mims
· State Rep. Darryl Owens
· Councilman James Peden
· Ted Pullen, Director of Public Works and Assets
· Businessman Ben Ruiz
· Tierra Kavanaugh Turner, Greater Louisville Inc.