Monday August 26, 2013
For Immediate Release:
Louisville Metro Council
Contact: Tony Hyatt 574-4137 / 526-3622
Louisville – Councilmen Rick Blackwell (D-12) and David Yates (D-25) have a special night planned to help kick off a new school year for students. The 8th Annual Back to School Party is set for Friday, August 30th from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at the Southwest YMCA.
“I am hoping for another great school year for all students in Jefferson County,” says Blackwell. “This event has always been a great way for them to celebrate the excitement of a new year with us.”
The Back to School party will feature swimming, food and fun; and it’s all free. There will be bouncies, Street Heat will be performing, there will be swim time at the Y’s pool, and Mad Science will be there selling Make Your Own Cotton Candy and Make your Own Slime for $1/each.
“This will also be an opportunity to explore the many programs offered by the Southwest YMCA,” says Yates. “The YMCA is a fun, family oriented organization that has become an important part of our community.”
This year’s Back to School Party will also feature a mini health fair for kids with information booths providing information during the party.
For Safety reasons the Southwest YMCA has the following rules in place:
· Family appropriate swim wear must be worn in the swimming pool. A white t-shirt can be worn on top of suit for women and as a shirt for men if you choose. Cut off’s or shorts will not be permitted as swim wear in the pool.
· Minimum of one adult per child in the pool for children 6 and under.
· One parent required to stay in pool area (not necessarily in the water) for children 7 and older.
· Children 7 and older who want to swim in the deep end will be required to take a swim safety test.
· This is a family event—an adult must stay with the children—no drop offs.
Pizza, drinks, and cookies will be provided by Metro Council Districts 12 and 25.
The Southwest YMCA is located at 2800 Fordhaven Road, just off of St. Anthony Church Road. The event is free no reservations or YMCA membership are required.
If you would like more information about the 8th Annual Back to School Party, contact Councilman Blackwell’s office at 574-1112 or Councilman Yates office at 574-1125.
Rick Blackwell (D) 12
David Yates (D) 25