Metro Council Newsroom
Calling all Volunteers! - Metro Area Cleanups on Saturday March 31st
Thursday March 29, 2007
Louisville Metro Council
For More Information Contact:
Tony Hyatt: 574-4137/ 526-3622
For Immediate release:
This coming Saturday, many neighborhoods and volunteers in the Metro Area will get together, roll up their sleeves, and try to make their neighborhood a cleaner place to live. These efforts are in conjunction with the “Brightside’s Community-Wide Cleanup”. Brightside will supply gloves and trash bags and assistance in pickup trash collected through the day. Many Council members and local businesses will supply food and beverages during the day.
Here is a listing of just some of those clean up efforts:
- District 1: The office of Councilwoman Judith Green and volunteers of the Highland Missionary Baptist Church will focus attention on the areas of Oboe, Shag Bar and Shank Lane. Start time 8:30 am. Residents of 35th -37th Garland Ave Neighborhood group also will be cleaning up their neighborhood. The start time is 8:30 am.
- District 2: Newburg Neighborhood Youth Council with more than 300 registered volunteers will clean the Newburg area. Start time 7:45 am. Volunteers who would like to help should meet at the Community Missionary Baptist Church 4909 East Indian Trail
- · District 5: The Northwestern/ Southwestern Parkway Neighborhood Association is encouraging all residents to clean up their yards and alleyways. They can drop off collected trash bags at the 100 block of Northwestern Parkway. Portland Partners will focus on 22nd Street to Duncan Street. Volunteers should meet at the Portland Presbyterian Church, 3200 Portland Avenue at 8:00 am.
- District 6: The Ninth Street Neighborhood Association is having a clean up which includes the areas of 7th Street to 12th Street and Magnolia to Shipp Avenue. Volunteers from the neighborhood and Dismas Charities will begin working at 10:00 am. Lunch will be served at 12:00 pm
- District 8: Volunteers will meet at the Mid City Mall at 9:00 am as part of the Highland Corridor Cleanup along Baxter Avenue and Bardstown Road. Clean up is from 9:00am to 11:00am
- District 10: Volunteers will clean up the Preston Corridor from 9:00am until 12:00 Noon Those interested should meet at the viaduct at the 3300 block of Preston Highway. There will also be a clean up effort at Schuff Lane/Beargrass Creek from 10:00 am to 12:00 Noon Volunteers should meet at the Schuff Lane Bridge in the 1500 block of Schuff Lane.
- District 12 & 14: PRP Business Association is coordinating the effort here with the two Districts. Volunteers should meet at 8:00 am at GFS Marketplace at 7483 Dixie Highway. Several teams of 80 volunteers will be working in various locations. They will be served Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and Starbucks Coffee. Please contact Kim Leanhart her number is 935-9898.
- · District 13: Volunteers will join Councilwoman Vicki Welch, Congressman John Yarmuth and other county and state officials at 9:00am at the Penile Baptist Church at Penile Road and Belvins Gap Road. The effort will focus on cleaning up creeks and vacant lots along Blevins Gap, Lonesome Hollow Road, and Joyner Hill Road.
Judith Green (D) 1
Barbara Shanklin (D) 2
Cheri Bryant Hamilton (D) 5
George Unseld (D) 6
Tom Owen (D) 8
Jim King (D) 10
Rick Blackwell (D) 12
Vicki Aubrey Welch (D) 13
Bob Henderson (D) 15