Home Occupations

Home occupations or business are allowed as an accessory use in residential zones, if it is conducted by the resident of the property, if it is subordinate to the residential use and if it meets the additional restrictions summarized below.

Only the residents of the property and one non-resident are permitted to be employees of the business. Two additional non-resident employees (up to three total) may be allowed with a Conditional Use Permit (CUP), for sites greater than 3 acres.

Exterior Appearance
No change to the exterior appearance of the dwelling is permitted.
Neither the home occupation nor its activity may be visible from the public right of way and adjacent properties.

Number of Customers, Clients and Pupils Permitted
No more than two customers or pupils may be permitted on the property at any one time except an occupant of a single family dwelling may provide;
Day care services for no more than eight individuals at one time
Group or professional therapy for no more than four individuals at one time, scheduled to avoid overlap and parking conflicts

No signage associated with the home occupation is permitted. Signs on vehicles
associated with the business are permitted as long as they meet all applicable

Hours of Operation

  1. Any home occupation that accommodates customers, clients or
    pupils on the site shall not be permitted to operate between the
    hours of 9 P.M. and 7 A.M.
  2. No nonresident employee may work at a home occupation between
    the hours of 9 P.M. and 7 A.M.

Parking & Deliveries
Parking must be provided on the existing driveway or off-street parking area. IPL will determine if sufficient parking is provided.
On street parking may be used only if a
parking study demonstrates that nearby
residents will not be adversely affected.
Deliveries may not be made using tractor trailers. No more than two commercial
deliveries (e.g. UPS, Federal Express, US Postal Service Express Mail) may be made in any 24 hour period.

Permitted Locations and Maximum Size/Area
The operation of a home occupation will be limited to a dwelling unit (including the
basement and garage) and one roofed and fully enclosed accessory structure located on the site.

The area occupied by the home occupation may not exceed the limits outline below:
A home occupation situated on a lot of less than one acre may occupy no more than 25% of the floor area of the residence of 500 square feet in area, whichever is less.
A home occupation situated on a lot greater than one acre may occupy no more than 25 % of floor area or 1,000 square feet, whichever is less.

NOTE: The maximum area calculation will include the space in which the home
occupation is conducted as well as any areas that the home occupation’s employees or
clients typically use including hallways, bathrooms and kitchens. When activity associated with the home occupation is proposed to occur in an accessory structure, its floor area is included in the calculation of the residence’s floor area. All activities associated with a home occupation are prohibited from occurring outside of the residence and its accessory structure.

Other Requirements
No equipment or process associated with a home occupation shall create any noise,
vibrations, odors, dust or electrical interference that is detectable (off the lot is the home occupation is conducted in a single family dwelling unit or outside the dwelling unit if the home occupation is conducted in something other than a single dwelling unit.)
No equipment that is clearly associated with the home occupation may be stored outside the residence, except for children’s play equipment.
Sale of agricultural goods that are grown on the site is permitted.
More than one home occupation may be
allowed within a dwelling unit as long as the cumulative impact of the home occupations does not exceed the maximum limits (i.e., on employees, maximum size/area, number of customers, etc.) set by this section.

Home Occupation License
A home occupation license is required for home occupations that serve customers, clients, pupils, at the site and/or have one or more non-resident employees. Contact Planning and Design Services at 574-6230 for information about license requirements.

Prohibited Home Occupations