History of Bridges of Hope NP
On June 25, 1997, Bridges of Hope Neighborhood Place (B.O.H. N.P.) celebrated its grand opening in the Mabel Wiggins Family Investment Center at 1411 Algonquin Parkway, at the southern edge of Parkway Place public housing development, one of two such developments in the service area (Beecher Terrace is the other). In October of that year, the satellite site of B.O.H. N.P. opened at the L&N Building at 908 West Broadway. Jackie Stamps was the first Administrator. S. Freeze Vonderweidt has been the Administrator since 2010.
Because we are located in a facility owned by the Louisville Metro Housing Authority, we are able to offer a computer lab and other services specifically for residents of public housing. When fully staffed, we have just over 100 staff. Together with our volunteer Community Council, we address issues of special concern for our service area, including environmental health, child care and safety and services to improve health and economic outcomes for pregnant women and young parents as well as provide the core services offered at all NPs.