Storm Debris Drop-off Jan. 28th
Friday January 20, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (January 20, 2012) – Citizens left with limbs, branches and other debris after this week’s tornadoes can haul their debris to Waste Management’s Outer Loop Recycling and Disposal facility, located at 2673 Outer Loop on Saturday, January 28, 2012 (a week from this Saturday) from 10a.m. – 2 p.m.. The cost is $15 per load.
At the request of Metro Public Works, Waste Management of Kentucky, a private company, agreed to open its facility to the public to assist in the clean-up effort following the damaging storms. The debris drop-off is for individuals only, no contractors will be allowed. No shingles or other types of construction debris will be accepted.
For residents of the Urban Services District (the old city limits), Solid Waste Management will haul away debris as part of its regular collection service.
As usual, yard waste is picked up separately from household garbage on a once-a-week, Monday through Friday schedule. It is collected on the same day as recycling, so residents should sufficiently separate yard waste from the orange recycling bin.
There is no limit on the number of bags or cans of yard waste that may be set out for collection.
Here are some reminders about preparing debris for pick-up (within the Urban Services District):
- Woody waste (such as tree limbs) should be less than 4 inches in diameter and should be cut into 4-foot lengths and securely tied into bundles light enough to be easily handled by one individual
- Yard waste may be set out in garbage cans or plastic bags as long as each can or bag weighs no more than 60 pounds and can be easily lifted by the average person.
- All yard waste must be set out by 6 AM on collection day - no earlier than 4 PM on the day before collection day.
- All containers must be removed from the street or alley no later than 4 PM the day after collection and stored on the property.
- No household garbage can be mixed with grass, leaves, or other yard waste.
Suburban-area residents should contact their private waste hauler for debris pick-up guidelines, collection schedule and acceptable materials.
Questions? Call MetroCall 311.