World TB Day
Thursday March 23, 2006
WHAT: World TB (tuberculosis) Day
WHEN: March 24, 2006
WHY: To create awareness around the world about the international health threat TB presents and to recognize global efforts to cure, control and eventually eliminate tuberculosis in the world.
FACTS: The Louisville Metro Health Department has a TB clinic at 400 East Gray St.
- Last year more than 5,000 individuals were tested
- 31 cases of active TB were reported in Jefferson County in 2005
127 cases reported in KY
14,000 cases reported in U.S.
- TB affects minorities at rates one and a half to two times greater than whites
- TB is very treatable and curable
- Symptoms of TV include unexplained weight loss, night sweats, chills, fever, fatigue, cough or coughing up blood
- Individuals may be tested for TB by their primary care physician or at the Louisville Metro Health Department at 400 E. Gray St., Monday through Friday from noon. to 3:30 p.m. or by appointment
For more information go to www.stoptb.org or call the Louisville Metro Health Department at 502.574.6617