Monday November 21, 2005
Mayor Jerry Abramson today unveiled a sign designating downtown’s Jefferson Street as Santa Claus Lane in preparation for Friday’s Light Up Louisville.
The free event, sponsored by GE and LG&E, will feature the lighting of more than one million lights at 6th and Jefferson streets, along with fireworks, holiday entertainment, food, children’s activities and a concert by The Monarchs. The mayor also encourages Light Up attendees to bring new toys to donate to Toys for Tots. Members of the U.S. Marine Corps will be stationed at the city’s holiday tree in Jefferson Square to accept donated toys.
Light Up Louisville Schedule:
3:00 p.m. - Food and craft booths open; Marines stationed to accept toy donations
3:30 p.m. - Children’s activities inside Metro Hall
4:00 p.m. - Winter Wonderland parade begins 5:30 p.m. - Entertainment on main stage
7:30 p.m. - Santa arrives
8:00 p.m. - Light Up, followed by holiday concert by The Monarchs
Light Up Louisville street closings:
· Closing Wednesday, Nov. 23, at noon: Jefferson St. from 5th to 6th St.
· Closing Thursday, Nov. 24, at 6 a.m.: 6th St. from Liberty to Market St.
· Closing Friday, Nov. 25, at 6 a.m.: Liberty St. from Armory Pl. to 6th St.; and 5th St. from Liberty to Market St.
· Streets re-open Friday, Nov. 25 at midnight.
Winter Wonderland Parade route closings:
· All streets closed specifically for the parade will re-open as soon as parade units have cleared.
· Closing Friday, Nov. 25 at 1 p.m.: Liberty St. from 1st to Floyd St.; and Brook St. from Jefferson St. to Muhammad Ali Blvd; both re-opening no later than 5 p.m.
· Closing Friday, Nov. 25 at 3:50 p.m.: Muhammad Ali Blvd. from Brook to 4th St.; re-opening no later than 5:15 p.m.
· Closing Friday, Nov. 25 at 4 p.m.: 4th St. from Muhammad Ali Blvd. and Jefferson St. (including 4th Street Live!); reopening no later than 5:30 p.m.