Wednesday April 23, 2008
500+ Volunteers Team with Brightside and Chase to Beautify Louisville for Derby Visitors
LOUISVILLE (April 23, 2008) – Mayor Jerry Abramson today kicked off the Brightside/Chase Pre-Derby Cleanup, as more than 500 volunteers fanned out across downtown to pick up litter, pull weeds and spread mulch.
“The Pre-Derby Cleanup has been an annual tradition for more than 11 years,” Abramson said. “Our citizens always come together, roll up their sleeves and partner with us to help our city sparkle for our Derby guests.”
Volunteers represented more than 60 local businesses and organizations and worked in several areas of downtown. Brightside provided volunteers with work gloves and T-shirts and YUM! Brands/KFC provided free lunch for volunteers in Jefferson Square before the cleanup.
Volunteers will be working within the downtown boundaries of 1st to 9th streets and Broadway to Main Street from 2 to 4 p.m. including these specific areas:
• Jefferson Square Park, 6th and Jefferson
• Metro Hall, 6th and Jefferson
• Theater Square, 4th and Broadway
• Founder’s Square, 5th Street and Muhammad Ali Blvd.
• 9th Street Corridor, from Broadway to Market St.
• 2nd Street corridor, from Broadway to Main
Chase, a long-time supporter of Brightside, is title sponsor of the Pre-Derby Cleanup. TARC transported volunteers to their cleanup sites on its hybrid buses.
Larger companies and organizations with volunteers participating in the cleanup include:
- Actors Theatre of Louisville
- Bank of New York Mellon
- Boehl Stopher & Graves LLP
- Bright Horizons
- Broadway Management Group LLC
- Brown Memorial CME Church Children & CYF
- Business First
- Club Brizendine
- Coca-Cola Enterprises
- Courtyard Downtown
- DAC Group
- David Nicholson's Office
- Drug Court
- Ferreri & Fogle PLLC
- Fourth Street Live!
- Fowler Securities and Benefits
- Godsey Associates Architects
- Green Earth Outdoors
- Hard Rock Café
- HDR/Quest Engineers
- The Housing Partnership, Inc.
- International Facility Management Association
- Jefferson County Attorney's Office: Child Support
- Kelley Construction, Inc.
- Kindred Healthcare
- Louisville Metro EMS
- Louisville Fire Department
- Louisville Metro IPL
- Louisville Metro Human Relations Commission
- Louisville Metro Human Resources
- Louisville Metro Public Works - Facilities Crew
- Marriott Louisville Downtown
- Metropolitan Sewer District – I Industrial Waste Division
- Parking Authority of River City
- Mountjoy & Bressler, LLP
- Nativity Academy at St. Boniface
- Nelson Development
- Our Savior Lutheran School Alumni
- Qk4 Engineering
- Russell Community Garden Club
- The Seelbach Hilton
- Seven Counties Services/JADAC
- Sister Cities of Louisville
- Sonya's Gang
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- Zoom Group