Tuesday September 20, 2005
Residents of the former Clarksdale housing development will move into new single-family homes in several Louisville neighborhoods in the coming months, Mayor Jerry Abramson said today. At a ceremony in the 500 block of East Breckinridge Street, the mayor and housing officials dedicated the first of hundreds of “off-site” homes that are part of the $233 million Clarksdale revitalization.
The revitalization project includes the relocation of the more than 700 Clarksdale Homes residents in order to accommodate a new, mixed-income neighborhood to be called Liberty Green. The Louisville Metro Housing Authority is replacing every housing unit from the Clarksdale development either in the new Liberty Green development or elsewhere in the community.
“Our project partners have come together in a big way to help create what will be a new mixed income neighborhood at Liberty Green and a more diverse community throughout all of our neighborhoods,” said Abramson. “Like Park DuValle, we are proving that we can create a neighborhood where people from all walks of life, of all income levels, can live as a vibrant community.”
Louisville Metro Housing Authority has partnered with New Directions Housing Corp, Housing Partnership, Inc., River City Housing, and Metro Housing Resource Center to build new replacement units off-site for former residents of Clarksdale Homes.
Phase I of the off-site development includes 176 units, both new construction and by acquisition. Phase II will consist of an additional 218 units. All of these units are scattered throughout the community, and honor the pledge of one-for-one replacement of affordable housing units from Clarksdale.
Ohio Capital and US Bank are committing low-income housing tax credits toward Phase I, totaling $12 million, which has assisted the Housing Authority in leveraging the federal HOPE VI funds.
Abramson said that relocation of Clarksdale residents is nearly complete, as all but two blocks of the old housing project are yet to be demolished. Construction of new homes began this summer, and residents are expected to move into the new Liberty Green development next March.
Liberty Green and Off-Site Development Highlights
· Budget total: Phase I: $140 million about ½ public funds Phase II: $93 million about ½ public funds
- Projected Economic impact (upon completion of Phase I and II)
- 2,883 total jobs; 1,433 direct impact (jobs)* - $85 million in total payroll; $42 million direct impact (payroll)
- $8.1 million in state/local tax revenues; $5.2 million in state/$2.9 million local
- To date, produced 200 additional jobs, paying nearly $6 million in wages
*Direct effects refer to on-site activity attributable to actual spending funded through the Clarksdale project itself. The additional effects that produce the total jobs, wages, output and taxes are the result of the spin-off or multiplier effects.
· Clarksdale Background A 65-year old public housing development comprised of 713 dwelling units. Just east of downtown, it sits on six large city blocks, totaling approximately 29 acres.
· Project Partners Clarksdale residents, Louisville Metro Housing Authority (LMHA), U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development, Louisville Metro government, The Community Builders, Inc., New Directions Housing Corporation, Housing Partnership Inc., River City Housing, Metro Housing Resource Center, US Bank, Ohio Capital, other private lenders and investors.
· Clarksdale HOPE VI Goal To develop a mixed-income community with heightened livability for residents, reintegrate the site into the fabric of adjoining neighborhoods, and reduce the negative effects of concentrations of low-income families in one tightly constrained area.
· Off-Site Development Status
Phase I acquisition completed: 107 units Phase I construction to be completed in 2006: 69 units
Phase II acquisition and construction to begin in 2006: 218 units
· Liberty Green Status (old Clarksdale site) Phase I and II relocation: completed
Phase I demolition: completed (Phase II demolition complete by mid 2006)
Phase I construction: to be complete in 2008 (Phase II construction to begin mid 2006)
· Liberty Green Unit Price Points (range) Leased apartments and town homes: $425- 850 (income dependent)
Home-ownership/Condominiums: $110,000 - $400,000