Metro Parks to host cleanup events at local parks
Thursday September 18, 2008
To commemorate National Public Lands Day, Metro Parks
, the Olmsted Parks Conservancy
, the Natural Resources Conservation Service
and the Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD)
will host four
cleanup events in area parks on Saturday
, September 27
The effort will largely involve the removal of trash, debris and invasive plants; and, because of the recent damage associated with the remnants of Hurricane Ike, the cleanup of fallen tree limbs left from the Sept. 14 wind event. Those who participate will receive a t-shirt and refreshments, as well as the necessary tools to complete their work. Registration for the cleanup is strongly encouraged. The events, with times and contact information, are listed below:
- Beargrass Creek Greenway at Irish Hill – Cleanup will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Volunteers will be allowed to clean the banks of Beargrass Creek from a raft or canoe, but prior registration is required to do so. Meet in the parking lot at Jim Porter’s off Lexington Road. To register, call Kat Lynn at 502/380-1753.
- Central Park – This cleanup event was planned immediately following the storm and precedes the St. James Court Art Fair. Hours are TBA, but morning and some afternoon hours are expected. For more information or to register, contact Mike Slaton at 502/456-8156.
- Cherokee Park – Cleanup will be held from 9 a.m. to noon. Meet at the Big Rock Pavilion. To register, contact Sarah Wolff at the Olmsted Parks Conservancy; 502/456-8125 or 432-2677.
- Shawnee Park – Cleanup will be held from 9 a.m. to noon. Meet at the Sports Complex. To register, contact Wolff at 502/456-8125 or 432-2677.
More about National Public Lands Day:
More than 120,000 volunteers across the nation will join those in Louisville in beautification efforts at more than 1,500 sites nationwide. Cleanups, fix-ups, and other volunteer events will take place in parks, forests, rivers, lakes, wetlands, cultural and other historic sites and other public lands.
On the Web:
· National Public Lands Day, www.publiclandsday.org
· Metro Parks, www.metro-parks.org
· Olmsted Parks Conservancy, www.olmstedparks.org/