Thursday June 30, 2011
Information available by postcard, online and at MetroCall 311
LOUISVILLE (June 30, 2011) – New dates are now available for the curbside junk collection service provided to residents of the urban services district (old city limits).
Citizens should watch for a postcard in their mailbox that will give detailed information about their specific junk set-out and collection dates. Dates are also available by using the updated MapIt tool at www.louisvilleky.gov or by calling MetroCall 311.
Metro Solid Waste Management collects junk, zone by zone, in 24 collection routes in the urban services district. Residents should remember that all items must be placed curbside during the designated set-out period (Friday-Sunday), with collection beginning the following Monday morning. Please see detailed guidelines below.
If your home is in the suburban services district, visit www.louisvilleky.gov/solidwaste for information on alternatives to disposing of junk, including disposal at the Waste Reduction Center at 636 Meriwether Avenue or at one of the city’s semi-annual drop-offs.
Junk Pickup Guidelines
· Items must be set out by 6 a.m. on Monday of your collection week - no earlier than 4 p.m. on the Friday before your collection week.
· If your junk is not out when collection crews service your street, your items won’t be collected until your next scheduled collection.
· There is no limit to the number of items that may be set out, but all items must come from the household where they are set out.
· Small items must be bundled or put in plastic bags. Each bag or bundle must weigh less than 60 pounds. Do not use garbage cans or cardboard boxes. Material in cans or boxes will not be collected.
· Tree branches and brush no greater than 4 inches in diameter must be cut in four foot lengths and kept separate from other items because woody waste is collected by a special vehicle and recycled into compost.
· No more than four tires per residence.
· No dirt, gravel or construction or demolition debris such as wood, drywall, shingles, gutters, siding.
· No auto parts such as transmissions or engine blocks, batteries or body panels.
· No computer equipment. (Visit www.louisvilleky.gov/SolidWaste/recycling/E-Scrap+Recycling.htm for environmentally friendly disposal)
· Appliances will be collected. Doors must be removed from refrigerators and freezers.
· No hazardous materials such as motor oil, batteries, paint, gasoline, antifreeze, pool chemicals or lawn chemicals. (Visit: www.louisvilleky.gov/SolidWaste/Household+Hazardous+Materials.htm for more information.)
· Persons who put out junk at times other than their regularly scheduled junk pickup week can be subject to civil penalties from $100 to $1000 per day per violation, as well as criminal prosecution and cost of cleanup.