Tips to Help Citizens Stay Safe on Sizzling Days
Monday June 21, 2010
As temperatures and humidity levels rise, citizens must take extra care to stay cool and protect their health.
Heat index levels are expected to climb into the unhealthy range over the next several days, according to weather forecasters.
The combination of high heat and humidity can be very dangerous, said Dr. Adewale Troutman, director of the Louisville Metro Public Health and Wellness Department. Especially at risk are the elderly, infants and those taking medications for chronic health conditions.
The Health and Wellness Department offers the following tips:
- Avoid long periods out in the blazing heat. Take frequent breaks.
- Check on elderly friends and neighbors
- Drink lots of water and natural juices
- Avoid alcoholic beverages or beverages with caffeine, such as coffee and soda
- Keep lights turned off
- Take a cool bath or shower periodically; use cool towels
- Wear loose, light cotton clothing outdoors
- Avoid heavy meals
- Avoid using your oven
- Reduce physical activity
- If you feel you need emergency medical attention due to heat, call 911 immediately.
Metro Parks’ Places to beat the heat!
Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center
- Algonquin 1614 Cypress St.
- Sun Valley 6505 Bethany Ln.
- Fairdale Nelson Hornbeck Park
- Norton 4201 Lee Ave.
201 Reservoir Ave.
* Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center Schedule
Algonquin Park -- 1614 Cypress Street
Baxter Square -- 301 S. 12th Street
Iroquois Park -- 5216 New Cut Rd.
Waterfront Park -- downtown (two separate spraygrounds available)
Louisville Zoo -- 1100 Trevilian Way (requires Zoo admission)
Crescent Hill Park (adjacent to Mary T. Meagher Aquatic Center) -- 3110 Brownsboro Rd
Farnsley Park -- 3100 Wedgewood Way
Wyandotte Park - 1104 Beecher Street
Shelby Park - 600 E. Oak Street
Boone Square Park
Elliott Square Park
G.G. Moore Park
George Rogers Clark Park
Huston Quin Park
Russell Lee Park
William Stansbury Park
Metro Parks Golf Clubhouses
Locust Grove: Monday thru Saturday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Riverside, the Farnsley-Moremen Landing: Tuesday thru Saturday 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.