Crescent Hill Reservoir Temporarily Closed
Monday July 14, 2014
Beginning July 21, the Crescent Hill Reservoir will temporarily close to walkers and runners as Louisville Water completes the restoration project at the site. Since the winter, visitors to the Reservoir have noticed the scaffolding that surrounds the Gatehouse, the Gothic-style structure that sits between the basins.
Louisville Water is replacing the roof on the Gatehouse and restoring the interior and exterior features. Louisville Water closed part of the Reservoir's walking/running path when the project started. Now, as the project enters the final phase, Louisville Water needs to entirely close the Reservoir to the public. Contractors will repair the stonework on the stairs that lead up to the Gatehouse and Louisville Water is unable to keep the walking path open. The work should be complete by mid-September.
The Crescent Hill Reservoir and Gatehouse is a favorite walking destination and Louisville Water looks forward to reopening it to the public. Constructed in 1878, the facility was part of Louisville Water's expansion in the late 19th century and is part of the company’s water treatment process today. The Gatehouse contains the original valves that controlled the flow of water in and out of the Reservoir and features exquisite architectural detail both inside and out . In 1878, Chief Engineer Charles Hermany designed the Gatehouse to resemble a building he’d seen on the Rhine River in Germany. Today, the facility is a Kentucky Historic site. Except for some work after the 1974 tornado, this facility has not had an extensive restoration.