Louisville Water Company Ready for Kentucky Derby Festival Events
Friday April 23, 2010
Louisville Water Company (LWC) employees began preparation work for this year’s Kentucky Derby Festival events last fall. LWC performs behind the scenes preparation work, provides water, and support of this local tradition and tourist attraction.
Our behind the scenes work ensures there are no water issues (e.g. leaks, outages, repair work) to distract from the Derby City’s pride and joy! We take this role very seriously and perform the following tasks to make certain the water and Derby events flow well.
- Water Distribution Coordinators arrange for all LWC construction and repair work in the Churchill Downs area to be complete and the Mini-Marathon, Marathon, and Pegasus Parade routes are free from loose lids, plates, and leaks.
- Repair Leaders fix any problems discovered along the race and parade routes.
- The Metering Crew tests all water meters supplying Churchill Downs to identify and resolve potential problems.
- Garage Mechanics fill a 4,300 gallon tanker truck with water to supply troughs for animals in the parade.
- Provide dedicated, on-call support for Oaks Day and Derby Day.
LWC provides over 6,000 cases of Pure Tap® for various Kentucky Derby Festival events and the Triple Crown of Racing (Anthem 5K, Rodes City Run, and Papa John’s 10 Miler) and 120,000 fully compostable cups for fill stations at four water stops for the Mini-Marathon and two water stops for the Papa John’s 10 Miler.
Our Public Information Department, in-house Bottling Plant Team, and Capital Crews coordinate the bottling and installation of the fill stations at the water stops.
Going green with compostable cups is a great way to reduce plastic in the landfill and energy used to produce the bottles, caps and boxes, and fill the bottles with water.
In addition to providing water, LWC supports Kentucky Derby Festival events in other ways, like…
- Fifth Third Bank $1 Million Hole in One Contest at the Water Tower on Zorn Avenue - This event raises money to offset the cost of the festival.
- Running Wild Expo - LWC provides information about the benefits of tap water and provides refillable water bottles to visitors.
- Mini-Marathon & Marathon - Volunteers fill compostable cups and hand them to runners as they pass our water stop. Our beloved mascot, Tapper, is at the finish line to cheer runners as they cross.
- Parade Preview - LWC touts the benefits of tap water and offers a historical display about our 150 years of operation.
- Pegasus Parade - Tapper walks in the Parade this year!
One sure bet is that LWC employees will help make this Derby another huge success!