Deadline Nears for Applications for Summer Youth “Change Leaders” Program
Monday April 21, 2014
Sunday April 27 is the deadline for high school students to submit applications for the Healing Futures Fellowship Program. The program is open to youth ages 15 to 18 entering their sophomore, junior or senior year of high school in the fall of 2014. It is offered by the Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness’ Center for Health Equity.
The program will be held June 30 through August 6 and will be comprised of both classroom and field sessions seven hours a day five days a week. It will bring together 25 rising sophomores, juniors and seniors from across Louisville. Each young person chosen for the Healing Future’s Fellowship will receive up to a $1,000 stipend.
“Public Health is everybody’s work – no matter your race, your age, or where you live,” said Dr. LaQuandra Nesbitt, director. “The Healing Futures Fellowship summer program will introduce our young people to public health methodology in the study of community issues and engage them in exploring solutions.”
To apply you must:
- Be a high school student and a resident of Louisville, Jefferson County Metro.
- Be a student entering the 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in the fall of 2014.
- Submit a completed application form and a 500 word essay by the deadline.
- Be available for an interview May 19-May 27, 2014 if your application is selected.
- Be available for fellowship orientation on Saturday, June 21, 2014, if you are selected to participate in the program.
- Be available Monday to Friday for the entire six-week program from June 30 – August 6.
- Be a high school student and a resident of Louisville, Jefferson County.
The deadline for applications is April 27. To apply or for more information, visit www.louisvilleky.gov/health.