Protective Orders

How can I get a protective order?
To get a protective order in Jefferson County, you can go to the Domestic Violence Intake Center (DVIC) on the first floor of the Jefferson Hall of Justice. (Anyone needing directions can ask where the DVIC is located upon entering the building.)

At the DVIC you can file an Emergency Protective Order that will last up until the date of your domestic violence hearing. At the hearing the judge may grant you a Domestic Violence Order, which can provide protection for up to three and may then be extended for up to three more years. To find out if you qualify for a protective order in Kentucky click here.

To learn more about Emergency Protective Orders (EPOs)
and Domestic Violence Orders (DVOs) and the process of obtaining them, read this Domestic Violence Handbook from the Legal Aid Society. 

What to bring when you file

  • The abuser’s full name and current home and/or work address and If possible, the abuser’s birth date and/or social security number.
  • A picture I.D. is required to file a criminal complaint but not an EPO.
  • An address where you can receive information from the court
  • If you are under 18, you must have an adult with you to file. If you are not 18 and do not have an adult to file on your behalf.
  • Call: 502 595-0853


Cycle of


Teen Dating

Safety Planning

Where to go to file

Domestic Violence Intake Center

All EPOs and Criminal Complaints are filed at a new centralized intake center 24 hours, 7 days a week. 

The center is located in the Hall of Justice at 600 W. Jefferson Street. You can contact the center at 595-0853.