Dedicate a Private Road
Forms to Download:
In accordance with Section 151 of Chapter 97 of the Louisville/Jefferson County Metro Code of Ordinances, a private street must meet all of the following criteria in order to become a public street:
- The attached petition must be signed by 100% of the adjacent property owners.
- The width of the private road is no less than eighteen (18) feet, unless the Director of Public Works recommends in writing acceptance of a lesser width for such private road.
- The private road only has single-family, detached dwellings abutting it and directly connects to a public way.
- The applicant(s), at his or her own expense, must have a report prepared by a professional engineer, which is approved by the Metro Government’s County Engineer, that demonstrates the private road meets the construction and design specifications set forth in Section 6.2.7 of the Louisville/Jefferson County Land Development Code.
- The private road plus additional property adjacent to said road is conveyed in fee simple to Metro Government to provide a right-of-way of the same width as required by Chapter 6 of the Louisville/Jefferson County Land Development Code, unless the Director of Public Works recommends in writing the acceptance of a lesser width for such right-of-way.
- The right-of-way, as mentioned in 4, above, is dedicated for public use by a major subdivision plat, which is prepared by and at the expense of the applicant(s) and signed by all property owners abutting the road to be dedicated.