Map It

Map City Services

Enter an address:
(e.g., 410 S Fifth Street)

  Public Works & Assets


Right of Way Obstruction

What is a Right-of-Way Obstruction?

Any structure that may prevent or impede the full and free use by the public of the entire sidewalk, street, alley, or public way (right of way).  Some examples of right-of-way obstructions:  basketball goals left on the curb line, concrete pyramids, piles of brush, items being sold, political/advertising signs, trees, shrubs, retaining walls, cars parked in the right of way, and any obstructions to cross visibility. 

            *Written Permission from Adjacent Property Owner Form (PDF)

            *Sample Maintenance Agreement for Street Furniture (PDF)

Who is Responsible for Maintaining Right-of-Way?

The abutting property owner is responsible for maintaining the area from the centerline of the roadway to the back side of the property, which includes to the centerline of the alley way if one is present.

What happens when a Right-Of-Way Obstruction is reported to MetroCall 311?

A public works inspector will inspect the site and determine if there is indeed an obstruction. If not considered to be an emergency, a certified letter will be sent to the property owner informing them of this obstruction.  If the obstruction is not removed in a timely fashion Public Works can remove it. 


Contact MetroCall at 502.574.5000 or 311 and give a detailed description and approximate location/address. MetroCall is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Or use our online reporting tool: MetroCALL Online