Friday October 7, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (October 7, 2011) – Citizens can protect themselves from identify theft with a free shredding event Saturday, October 15, 2011 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 1032 Phillips Lane, across from the Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center.
Residents are encouraged to bring personal and confidential documents to be shredded and then recycled. There is no limit on the amount of material residents may bring. Businesses will not be allowed to participate in this event.
Items that can be brought for shredding include documents, discs, hard drives, credit cards and other confidential materials. All paper materials will be shredded on site and recycled to make materials such as compost, tissues and toilet paper.
The event is made possible through the generosity of a local shredding company, Shred-It, by donating its services and equipment. The Kentucky Fair & Exposition Center also donated the space to hold the event.
Additional tips to prevent identity theft:
· Do not keep Social Security cards in wallet or purse
· Do not put bills or checks in home mailbox for pickup
· Check credit reports, bank statements and credit card statements often for irregularities
· Shred all documents with personal information
· Never give personal information to someone on the phone, internet or email claiming to be your bank
· Do not store credit card numbers on shopping websites
For more information phone MetroCall 311 or 574-5000.