If you live outside the old City of Louisville or the Urban Services District, and outside an incorporated city, the city taxes you pay don't include sanitation services so they are less. However, you are responsible for taking care of your garbage, recycling and junk pick up. Here are some options for residents in these areas.
Contract with a Private Residential Waste Hauler for Garbage, Yard Waste and/or Recycling
If you live in an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, you will need to contract individually for services with a private waste collection company. These waste haulers are required by regulations to offer the following services to residents: once a week curbside waste collection, curbside recycling and yard waste collection. See our list here.
Louisville Metro Waste Reduction Center
(Available to all residents countywide)
No matter what area of Louisville you live in, you have the option to dispose of bulk waste items at the Louisville Metro Waste Reduction Center at 636 Meriwether Avenue, 40217.
Hours of operation (effective Aug. 20, 2012):
Wednesday - Friday 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday 8 AM to 3 PM. For directions to the Waste Reduction Center, click here to map the location.
Household junk items, tree limbs and stumps up to 3 feet in diameter, vehicle tires (including bicycle tires), metal waste, household construction debris, furniture and appliances will be accepted.
Effective August 20, 2012 : ONLY SELF-DUMPING VEHICLES OR VEHICLES ABLE TO UTILIZE EQUIPMENT TO QUICKLY "PULL-OFF" LOADS WILL BE ALLOWED TO DUMP LARGER LOADS AT THE WASTE REDUCTION CENTER. A fee will be charged according to the size of the vehicle.
Citizens, in any vehicle, can drop-off larger loads of bulky waste at Waste Management's Recycling and Disposal facility, located at 2673 Outer Loop for the same fees as the Waste Reduction Center. Waste Management facility's hours of operation: Monday - Friday 5:30am to 4:30pm and Saturday 6am- 10am.
Because the fees are volume based, the following is the standard fee schedule but may vary upon arrival at either location:
- Mini pickup truck. Midsize pickup truck. Full size pickup truck. Passenger van. Pickup truck with sideboards below the cab. Unloaded vehicle with trailer l0 feet or less in length - $50.00
- Pickup truck with sideboards above the cab. Step van. Full pickup truck with trailer up to 10 feet in length. Unloaded vehicle with trailer over 10 feet but less than 16 feet in length - $100.00
- Full pickup truck with trailer over 10 feet but less than 16 feet in length - $140.00
- Full pickup truck with trailer longer than 16 feet. Flatbed truck. Stakebed truck - $275.00
- All other vehicles including all ALL DUMP TRUCKS - $550.00
- WASTE REDUCTION CENTER ONLY (636 Meriwether Ave.)Miscellaneous items - Passenger car tires - $3.00/each Truck tires - $9.00/each Truck tires with rims - $25.00/each
Up to three household junk items will be accepted from Louisville Metro residents at no charge, in any vehicle. (636 Meriwether Avenue) (Four passenger tires count as one item.) A per tire/type fee will be charged for disposal of more than four tires. For more information, phone MetroCall at 311 or 574-5000.
WASTE REDUCTION CENTER GUIDELINES
- No engine blocks, transmissions, differentials or other auto parts having contained or containing any fluids. We do accept mufflers, bumpers and fenders.
- No hazardous materials, such as used motor oil, batteries, paint, gasoline, antifreeze, pool or lawn chemicals (See Household Hazardous Materials section for more information.)
- No radioactive materials
- No drums of any kind
- No autos, trucks, boats, or campers
- No “raw” garbage
- No liquids, including paint
- No concrete, dirt, rock or gravel
- No medical waste
Citizens may hire private firms to remove junk and trash items. Junk items can also be taken to a private landfill or transfer station for disposal. These businesses may be found in the Yellow Pages under “Garbage and Rubbish Removal.”
By ordinance, residents hiring private persons to dispose of junk items are responsible for hiring a reputable person who will dispose of the material at a licensed facility. If a private waste hauling firm illegally dumps the material, the resident may be held responsible.
Junk and Bulk Waste Drop-Off
Metro Solid Waste Management Department provides an opportunity for junk and bulk waste drop-off for households in the Louisville Metro area. While this junk drop-off is primarily intended to service residents in the Suburban Areas without regular curbside junk collection, it is open to all residents of Louisville Metro.
The drop-off is scheduled on a weeekend each year. The dates will be posted on the home page Calendar or phone MetroCall at 311 or 574.5000.
The drop off will accept bulky junk items such as appliances, furniture, mattresses, etc. Metal items are separated and recycled, and Freon® is properly removed from appliances.
The drop-off will not accept:
Hazardous Waste (See Household Hazardous Materials section for more information.)