New! Junk Set-Out Reminders in Text & Email
Residents of the Urban Services District of Louisville (the pre-merger City of Louisville boundaries) can now sign up by text & email to be reminded of your junk set-out dates. Sign up now! See the press release.
How do you find your junk set out dates?
It's the number one question we receive! There are 4 things you need to know:
- Louisville Metro Solid Waste picks up your junk 2 times a year if you live in the old City of Louisville or the Urban Services District (see map). Residents in this area pay a little more in taxes for this service than residents in surburban areas or incorporated cities.
- If you live in this area, click here to enter your address and find your dates and sign up for reminders.
- Junk and bulk waste collection is provided in several different ways in Louisville Metro depending on where you live.
- If you live outside the urban services district, click here.
PROJECT PICKUP GUIDELINES
- Items must be set out near your normal collection point, but sufficiently separated so that it is easily distinguishable which is junk and which is garbage. Items must be set out no later than 6 AM on Monday of your collection week - no earlier than 4 PM on the Friday before your collection week.
- If your junk is not out when collection crews service your street, your items won’t be collected until your next scheduled collection week.
- There is no limit to the number of items that may be set out, but all items must come from the household where they are set out.
- Small items must be bundled or put in plastic bags. Each bag or bundle must weigh less than 60 pounds. Do not use garbage cans or cardboard boxes. Material in cans or boxes will not be collected.
- Tree branches and brush no greater than 4 inches in diameter must be cut in four foot lengths and kept separate from other items because woody waste is collected by a special vehicle and recycled into compost.
- No more than four tires per residence.
- No dirt, gravel or construction or demolition debris such as wood, drywall, concrete, shingles, gutters, siding.
- No auto parts such as transmissions or engine blocks, batteries or body panels.
- No computer equipment. (See Electronics Recycling for environmentally friendly disposal)
- Appliances will be collected. Doors must be removed from refrigerators and freezers.
- No hazardous materials such as motor oil, batteries, paint, gasoline, antifreeze, pool chemicals or lawn chemicals. (See Household Hazardous Materials section for more information.)
- Persons who put out junk at times other than their regularly scheduled Project PickUp week can be subject to civil penalties from $100 to $1000 per day per violation, as well as criminal prosecution and cost of cleanup.
Regulations require special disposal of tires and appliances with Freon®. Therefore, these items cannot be placed in the truck with the regular Project PickUp items. Special crews will collect these items during your collection week, but not necessarily on the same day. Please have these items near your normal garbage collection point by 6 AM on MONDAY of your collection week. If they are not collected by Friday, phone MetroCall at 311 or 574.5000.