Solid Waste Newsroom
New Recycling Drop-off Site Open
Wednesday June 3, 2009
E.P. “Tom” Sawyer Park is city’s 17th recycling site
Mayor Jerry Abramson today announced the addition of a new recycling drop-off site at E.P. “Tom” Sawyer State Park at 3000 Freys Hill Road. This center will be open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., and brings the city’s total number of Metro recycling centers to 17.
"I am excited about this new partnership that will provide our residents with a new opportunity to recycle," Abramson said. “It also furthers our commitment to expand services in the suburban areas and provide recycling options for those residents who must pay for curbside recycling."
Residents wishing to drop off recyclables should use the park entrance in the 2600 block of Freys Hill Road and follow the signs to the drop-off bins.
Unstaffed Recycling Drop-Off Guidelines
· Deposit newspapers in brown paper bags in the paper compartment
· Combine all acceptable paper items other than newspapers in a separate brown paper bag and deposit in the paper compartment
· Deposit all acceptable glass, metal, aluminum and plastic items in the designated compartment. No plastic bags!
The new recycling drop-off location is unattended. Other unattended drop-off centers include:
- Louisville Fire Eng. Co. #22 - 3228 River Park Drive
- Louisville Fire Eng. Co. #5 - 235 E. Jefferson Street
- Louisville Fire Eng. Co. #7 - 1500 S. 6th Street
- Louisville Fire Quad Co. #6 - 2620 Frankfort Avenue
- Louisville Fire Eng. Co. #8 - 2900 Hikes Lane
- Louisville Fire Eng. Co. #12 - 4535 Manslick Road
- Fern Creek Fire Department - 7700 Routt Road
- Middletown Fire Department - 108 Urton Lane
- Beechmont Community Center - 205 W. Wellington Avenue
- Louisville Metro Parks - 1297 Trevilian Way (across from the Zoo)
- Bowman Field Driver’s License Branch - 3501 Roger E. Schupp Street
The city also has five staffed recycling centers, open Tuesday through Saturday, from
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Those centers include:
- First District Public Works Yard - 595 Hubbards Lane
- Southwest Government Center - 7219 Dixie Highway
- Louisville Metro Parks Landscaping, - 9300 Whipps Mill Road
- Central Government Center - 7201 Outer Loop
- Fairdale Community Center (adjacent to) - 10620 W. Manslick Road
To find a list of recyclables and the closest recycling site or directions to the Waste Reduction Center, visit LouisvilleKy.gov and click on My Louisville or phone MetroCall at 311 or 574-5000.