Thursday August 16, 2012
Metro’s Solid Waste Management is partnering with Waste Management to offer new options for bulk waste disposal.
Starting the week of August 20, 2012 citizens will be able to drop-off household junk items and loads of bulky waste that cannot be placed curbside for waste collectors at two locations: Louisville Metro’s Waste Reduction at 636 Meriwether Avenue and Waste Management’s Recycling and Disposal Facility at 2673 Outer Loop.
The new disposal option at Waste Management’s site coincides with changes to hours of operation and bulk waste drop-off policies at Metro’s Meriwether facility.
The Waste Reduction Center will now be closed both Mondays and Tuesdays. Its new hours of operation will be Wednesday-Friday from 8am-5pm and Saturday 8am-3pm. (Currently, it is closed only on Mondays.)
Only self-dumping vehicles or vehicles able to utilize equipment to quickly “pull-off” loads will be allowed to dump large-size loads at the Waste Reduction Center. This will allow SWMS employees to more effectively manage the traffic flow in and out of the facility as well as more efficiently maintain and clear loads dropped off. Citizens will, however, still be allowed to drop-off three free household waste items in any vehicle at the Waste Reduction Center only (636 Meriwether Avenue).
Waste Management will accept large loads of bulky waste such as household construction debris, tree limbs and stumps, in any vehicle, for the same fees as SWMS currently charges.
“These changes and new options will provide citizens with a high level of service when it comes to their bulk-waste needs,” Public Works Director Ted Pullen said. “Waste Management’s facility on Outer Loop offers an easily accessible, safe way to dispose of items at the same cost as the Metro Waste Reduction Center. They also provide service Monday-Saturday for longer hours than we are equipped to offer.”
Waste Management is open six days a week, Monday-Friday, 5:30 am- 4:30pm and Saturday 6am-10am.
Fee Structure (Metro Waste Reduction Center/ Waste Management Outer Loop facility)
- Mini pickup truck. Midsize pickup truck. Full size pickup truck. Passenger van. Pickup truck with sideboards below the cab. Unloaded vehicle with trailer l0 feet or less in length - $50.00
- Pickup truck with sideboards above the cab. Step van. Full pickup truck with trailer up to 10 feet in length. Unloaded vehicle with trailer over 10 feet but less than 16 feet in length - $100.00
- Full pickup truck with trailer over 10 feet but less than 16 feet in length - $140.00
- Full pickup truck with trailer longer than 16 feet. Flatbed truck. Stakebed truck - $275.00
- All other vehicles including all ALL DUMP TRUCKS - $550.00
- Waste Reduction Center only (636 Meriwether Avenue) - Miscellaneous items - Passenger car tires - $3.00/each Truck tires - $9.00/each Truck tires with rims - $25.00/each
CyberCycle, Solid Waste’s electronic recycling program, will remain at the Waste Reduction Center. For more details visit, www.louisvilleky.gov/solidwaste and click on the “recycling electronics” icon. Citizens will also be able to continue dropping off up to four tires for free at the Meriwether location. A per-tire fee is charged after four tires.