CART USE GUIDELINES
- Position the cart so that the handle faces away from the street/alley.
- Cart must be positioned at the edge of the curb or alley and at least three feet away from other carts, walls, buildings, poles, etc.—do not block sidewalks.
- Do not overload the cart (maximum load 200 lbs).
- No household garbage in plastic bags outside the cart.
- Do not place hot ashes, flammable liquids, construction debris, auto parts, junk items, dirt or rocks in the cart.
- Do not put yard waste in the cart. For yard waste disposal guidelines, click here.
- Remove the cart from curb or alley when emptied.
- Wash the cart periodically with soap and water.
- Keep the lid closed to keep odor and litter in and animals out.
DAMAGED OR STOLEN CART
- Report damaged cart to MetroCall at 311 or 574-5000.
- Citizen must provide name, address, daytime phone number, cart serial number, description of damage, and cart size.
- Report stolen cart to MetroCall at 311 or 574-5000.
- Citizen will be instructed by MetroCall to provide the serial number of the stolen cart.
- A new cart will be delivered to the front of the property at the given address.
- If the stolen cart is a purchased cart, the citizen will be charged for the replacement.
- Additional carts may be requested by downloading the Garbage Cart Request Form (pdf) or phone MetroCall at 311 or 574-5000. They are also available for purchase online. Click here.
- Citizen needs to fill out the form in its entirety and mail to the address noted on the form. .
- There will be a charge of $50 for an additional 95 gallon cart and $45 for a 68 gallon cart. If the household cannot afford the additional cart, proof of income must be furnished. (Federal income guidelines will be used.)
- Citizens are strongly urged to completely utilize the space in the first cart before putting garbage into additional carts.
- Cart will be delivered as soon as possible.
- Requests for a smaller cart (68 gallon) may be made by downloading the Garbage Cart Request Form (pdf) or MetroCall at 311 or
- Citizen needs to fill out the form in its entirety and mail to the address noted on the form. The serial number from the large cart must be included on the form.
- Cart will be exchanged as soon as possible.
- Requests for an exemption must be made to MetroCall at 311 or 574-5000.
- Citizen will be mailed a form to complete
- Citizen will be required to provide proof of physical disability (written doctor's statement).
- If granted an exemption for physical disability, citizen may set garbage out in plastic bags or garbage cans with lids.
- Exemption requests based on setout site features will require verification by staff.
- If granted an exemption for setout site features, citizen must use garbage cans with lids.
COLLECTION FROM CANS
If you have received an exemption from using a roll- out cart, garbage must be set out in cans no larger than 40 gallons with two lifting handles and a tightly fitting lid; plastic bags of garbage outside of cans will be accepted. When filled, the can must weigh no more than 60 pounds and be easily lifted by the average person. There is no limit to the number of cans that residents may set out for collection.
COLLECTION GUIDELINES (Cans)
- Items must be set out by 6 AM on collection day - no earlier than 4 PM on the day before collection day.
- All containers must be removed from the street or alley no later than 4 PM the day after collection and stored on the property.
- No grass, leaves or other yard waste may be mixed with household garbage.
- Auto parts, tires, asphalt, hazardous waste (including medical waste), hot ashes, asbestos, concrete, dirt, gravel, rock, sand or liquid paint may NOT be set out for collection. (See paint disposal under Household Hazardous Materials )
- Broken glass should be containerized before being put into a container.
- Cardboard boxes may be recycled. (See Recyclable Materials) However, if cardboard boxes are set out for garbage collection, they must be flattened into pieces no larger than 4 feet per side, tied into a bundle weighing less than 60 pounds, and set out next to your waste container.
- Drain liquids from all containers prior to putting them in the waste receptacle.
- No plastic bags outside of carts or cans will be accepted.
- Animal waste should be placed in a plastic bag prior to disposal.
- Needles should be placed in a rigid container with a tight fitting lid prior to placement in the waste container.