Acceptable items are the same for the curbside program, drop-off locations, and staffed recycling centers except as noted below.
SINGLE STREAM MATERIALS (All items may be placed in a single container)
- White or mixed office paper, computer paper, file folders, and envelopes, mail items, junk mail, brown paper grocery bags, telephone books, and magazines/catalogs
- Food-free pizza boxes, paperboard, cereal, and gift boxes
- Newspapers with slick advertising inserts
- Flattened cardboard
- Food and drink bottles and jars (clear, brown, green, blue)
METAL & ALUMINUM
- Steel “tin” cans used for items such as soup, vegetable, or pet food (rinse and put lids inside)
- Empty aerosol cans (remove plastic lids)
- Clean used aluminum foil, disposable roasting, pie and cake pans, beverage cans, and clean aluminum food containers (flatten to save space if possible)
- Household containers such as milk jugs, cups, squeeze bottles, clear food packaging, soft drink, laundry and dishwashing detergent, margarine and whipped topping tubs, and most bottles and jars marked #1 through #7 with the recycling symbol are accepted in the program.
Helpful "Green" Hints for single stream recyclable materials:
- Please do not place materials in plastic bags
- Rinse off food residue
- It is OK to leave labels and lids on glass or plastic containers
- Flatten plastic and cardboard to save space
The Following Items are Accepted at Staffed Locations Only.
- Antifreeze - Up to 5 gallons
- Motor Oil - Up to 5 gallons
- Oil Filters
- Inkjet and Laser Toner Cartridges
- DVDs and CDs
- Floppy Disks
- Cooking Oil*
*Any type of vegetable cooking oil that is liquid at room temperature, such as olive, soybean, and canola. Residential service only.
- Hazardous household items such as batteries and paint (no latex paint) may be taken to the hazardous waste drop-off site (HAZ BIN) located at 7501 Grade Lane (see map below).
View Larger Map
NO medical waste such as syringes or needles
NO window glass, mirrors, light bulbs, drinking glasses/mugs, oven/cooking glassware, or pottery
NO coat hangers
NO latex paint
NO large jugs/buckets, pumps or sprayers, or plastic cutlery
NO plastic bags (many grocery stores have containers for plastic bags)
View Larger Map
For large quantities, please phone the number listed above and make an appointment for delivery. Many 'pack-and-ship' stores will also accept peanuts or polystyrene packing materials. Call to check with the location nearest you.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS ARE CURRENTLY NOT ACCEPTED AT ANY METRO GOVERNMENT FACILITY:
THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR PART TO MAKE LOUISVILLE CLEANER AND GREENER!!