At Metro Archives, we are always delighted to welcome new Volunteers!
We have many interesting volunteer opportunities for anyone who has a desire to become more involved in local history and historic preservation, records management, clerical or clean-up work. And, we are always happy to tailor times and projects to fit your particular schedule, interests, talents, experience and knowledge. In addition, you can volunteer to help on a regular basis --or just till a particular project is completed.
We are open M-F 8:00 am-5:00 pm and do not usually offer volunteer opportunities outside those hours.
Below, are some projects we need help with at the current time. Please contact us if you see something you are interested in:
- Inventory contents of 35 boxes from City of Louisville Public Works, Engineering Division containing project files and correspondence from 1910-1940.
- Inventory contents of 4 boxes from City of Louisville Public Works, Engineering Division including correspondence and other files relating to recovery from the 1974 tornado.
- Scan/Image two boxes of Civil War Confederate Pension Applications and develop index to images.
- Inventory and rebox artifacts from local archaeological dig.
- Research and replace missing labels on storage boxes.
- Transcribe historic documents/handwritten books.
- Organize and rebox historic documents.
- Prepare copies of historic items for resale.
- Warehouse cleaning (general).
- Genealogical research assistance for visitors/patrons.
For more information on Metro Government's Volunteer program, or to volunteer for any of the above opportunities, please visit Metro Louisville's Volunteer page and complete the form to indicate your interest in Metro Archives. Click here to be redirected to the Volunteer page.
Thank you for considering Metro Archives. We look forward to working with you in the near future!