Wednesday April 9, 2014
During Sunday’s CycLouVia open street event along Frankfort Ave., people can walk, bike, skate, shop --- and support a good cause by bringing new or used shoes to donate to WaterStep.
Louisville-based WaterStep uses the shoe donations to fund providing safe, clean drinking water around the world. The donation effort is part of Mayor Fischer’s Give A Day week of service, which begins Sat., April 12 and runs through April 20. Shoes donated will count toward the week of service goal of 120,000 volunteers and acts of compassion.
The CycLouVia is 2 p.m.-6 p.m. along a two-mile stretch of Frankfort Ave., between Pope St. and Stilz Ave. Collection bins for the shoes will be located along the corridor at the following locations:
· Comfy Cow- 2221 Frankfort Ave.
· Margaret’s Consignments- 2700 Frankfort Ave.
· South Bayly Boutique- 107 S Bayly Ave.
· Degeorge Brothers Guitars- 2910 Frankfort Ave.
· Crescent Hill Branch Library- 2762 Frankfort Ave.
· American Printing House for the Blind- 1839 Frankfort Ave.
· A Reader’s Corner Bookstore- 2044 Frankfort Ave.
During the CycLouVia, Frankfort Avenue will become a paved linear park, where residents and visitors can bike, walk, skate, dance, and shop in a car-free environment. Automobile cross traffic will be facilitated by traffic control officers at Ewing Avenue. For more information, go to www.cyclouvia.org.
For more information about WaterStep, visit www.waterstep.org.