Code Question & Answers

The following are answers to questions that have been submitted thourgh the Code Questions forms. As we get more questions for this library we will arrange them according to question type.

Tip: Hold down CTRL and F on your keyboard to bring up the "find" function and search for a keyword on this page.

On Behalf of Name of Company Omitted., I am researching the licensing requirements for Louisville, Kentucky as it pertains to low voltage electrical work. Name of Company Omitted is interested in performing PC Installation and Servicing, Home Theater Installations, and Cabling/MSO operations in Louisville. I reviewed the web-site and did not see any explicit definition regarding licensing in this field of work. Can you advise if Louisville requires licensing for the work I have detailed? I do understand the language regarding permits. It appears that as long as we are not installing new receipticals and breakers, we would not have to pull a permit for search work. Can you also verify this information?
At this time the state nor the city require a license or a permit for 50 volts or below (low voltage).
I am working on a Name of Company Omitted project in Louisville, They are going to replace signs with they new logo. The wall signs will be the same size or smaller than what they currently have. Will an electrical permit be required for the sign change? There is existing wiring for the current sign.
As long as your not adding any wiring and using the same type of equipment you should be fine without a permit.
What type off permit is needed for paint booth installation?
The permit required is a H.V.A.C. permit ( licensed HVAC contractor). The fee is 35.00 dollars.  Many paint booths will also need a permit from the Louisville Metro Air Pollution Control District,
I live in a patio home complex. We have both duplex and fourplex units. A year ago, we learned of a "class action lawsuit" that had been filed against several manufacturers of CSST flexible gas line tubing regarding an unreasonable risk of lightning strikes. All of our units (95) have this tubing manufactured by Wardflex (one of the defendent companies). Wardlex, along with the other manufacturers, has agreed to offer "vouchers" to help defray some of the cost of "lightning protection" although they maintain that there is no "undue risk of lightning strike" if installed according to building codes and installation instructions". I have spoken with both the "CSST claims administrater" as well as a local electrician and am confused: 1. "Wardflex" manufactured by Ward Mfg Co., according to their website, has required "supplemental direct bond" since October 2007. Our units were built in early 2000. Our units were built according to code. When I contacted Rourke Plumbing/Heating, they told me that they had no knowledge of any potential problem since the units were constructed according to code and inspected. 2. The CSST claim administrater has offered a choice of two solutions. a) Lightning Protection System. Pretty expensive, even after the "settlement" reimbursement. b) Grounding and Bonding. Appears to be less expensive. 3. Our patio homes are individually owned (fee simple) and any costs will have to be borne by the individual homeowner if they choose to have the work done for their unit. The claim administrater told me that they have only a few claims from Kentucky. I am sure that there are many dwelling in Jefferson Co. KY that are similarly "plumbed" and have no participated in this suite. 4. I am aware that "class action lawsuites" are often filed to enrich attorneys. Is this corrective lightning protection something that we should consider, and if so, which type.
This bonding method is not addressed in the (NEC) electrical code ,you must follow manufacture specification.
Address: Ward manufacturing Inc 9
Blossburg, Pa 16912
(717) 638-2131
1. Is a building permit required for the replacement of a 10'x20' wood deck for a single family residence? 2. To what code(s) must the deck coform?
The deck would require a building permit and would be reviewed under the 2013 Kentucky Residential Code.
I'm looking to do work myself. I need to use same location minimizing down time. Is it possible to do a tare out and install panel without upgrades throughout the home? I would like to rework and connect next day?
It is possible to do this, however you will need to get a permit from us and approval for the location from LG&E prior to beginning any work. You will need to coordinate with the inspector in you area once you get your permit as many days in advance as possible (2 or 3) should be fine. It is not necessary to upgrade the rest of the house, however if there are any life safety issues they will have to be corrected such as broken receptacles, wire hanging out of a wall, 3 prong receptacles with no ground.
What is the proper application (use) of arc fault breakers in residential new construction, are they needed on all single pole branch circuits?
That is article 210.12B 2005 NEC. Applies to 15 and 20amp branch circuits for bedrooms in dwelling units.
I have a double bowl vanity 5 foot in length in a duplex residential home. Am I required to have 2 GFCI outlets(one on each side) or can I have one outlet in center?
Either installation should work. Check 210.52D in the 2005 National Electrical Code to see if you meet the requirements.
I am looking for information on how to become licesed/certified to perform commercial refrigeration installation/service.
Any person engaged in the installation or repair of commercial refrigeration equipment shall be identified ( license not required). This will not include H.V.A.C. work which requires a license. For more information please call me at 574-6412.
I am a builder and have a contract to build in Gardiner Park, I have not built in Jefferson County for 5-6 yrs. I primarily build in Oldham and surrounding counties. On the plan review checklist, it lists an energy efficiency building method, or prescriptive, rescheck, other. What do I need to include in plans or with plans. Is this just showing the new insulation codes or more than that? This house will be on crawl space. What requirements do we need to meet for the energy code for crawl spaces? Can I insulate floor joists only or do I need to insulate block wall? Does all of this need to be noted on prints? Any help would be appreciated!
You will need to include in your plans the R values of the entire building envelope or submit a REScheck. The crawl space can be insulated at the block walls or the floor joists may be insulated.
I placed a new kitchen in my new home. I have an island with an electric cook top. I dont want to cut into the new expensive island. Is it necessary to have an electrical outlet on the island? When installing a 100 amp over head service in a single family dwelling, can I use #4 thhn copper for my service entrance conductors and a # 8 thhn copper for the grounding electrode conductor?
Over head conductors are exposed to rain and sunlight so they would have to be marked as suitable for these locations. Most conductors suitable for wet locations will have a W in the markings such as: THHW, TW, XHHW. These types of wires would be suitable for wet locations article 310.8ABCD. You should also look for a mark indicating sunlight resistant. #4 copper is suitable for a 100amp service on a residence, article 310.15(B)6. #8 is a suitable size GEC for a 100 amp service, article 250.66.
What are the reguirements for grounding when upgrading from 100 to 200 amp service? Is it still OK to put in #4 ground at water main and #6 ground to driven ground? I was told I needed 2 ground rods driven within 5' of one another on a new installation. If so, can the ground wire between the rods and the ground bar be cut or spliced?
If we can insure there is at least 10' of metal water pipe in contact with the earth a 200 amp service would need a #4 copper to the water pipe and a #6 copper to the driven ground. If you can't prove to us you meet the water pipe requirements then you would have to drive 2 ground rods at least 6' apart and bond together with a continuous #6 or make it continuous by splicing it with a irreversible means. Code references are 250.66, 250.53, 250.56, 250.64(c).
Is there any kind of ordinance or law against putting a metal roof on a home in the metro area?? Please email me with some info on this, I am in the process of replacing storm damage, and would like to go with metal. Also do I have to have a building permit for replacing the storm damage?
There is no problem with metal roofing and if there is no structural damage a building permit is not required.
I would like to install a wood burning stove at my residence. My question: What is the minimum required clearance (from combustibles) of single, double, and triple wall stove pipe?
Single wall 18 inches
Double wall Manufacturers requirements
Triple wall Manufacturers requirements
I am on the market for a house and I the house that I am looking at has only 2 prong outlets. I have heard from some people that if you are selling a home you have to convert all outlets to 3 prong. Is this true?
Not true. Two prong receptacles are still legal and often used on 2 wire systems that do not have a ground.
My service is some 40 years old and getting in bad shape. It is 100 amp and I would like to upgrade to 200 amp service and would like to do the work myself. I am fimilar with electrical work ethics and capable of doing the work. I need to know codes that have changed, permits needed and anything I should be aware of. I was reading about the two ground rod requirement 6 feet apart and meter Clearance. The breaker box will be outside and larger than the exsisting box. Can the meter be beside the box for the height reqirement as long as side to side is met? Can you get me started?
As long as you own and occupy the property you can obtain the permit yourself to change your service. It is acceptable to put the meter beside the panel but check with LG&E for the location of the meter since it is not covered in the National Electrical Code. You will find all the current changes and rules in the current code which is the 2008 National Electrical Code book. Be sure to obtain your permit prior to beginning any work and coordinate with the inspector in your area and LG&E so you will be without power for a minimal amount of time.
Can there be a work bench in front of the main electrical pannel in residential home.
A panel board shall have 36 inches of clear working space in front of the panel. The reason for this is so if you need to work on the panel your'e not leaning over something to get to the equipment and also to provide easy access in case you need to turn something off. Article 110.26(A)(1)2008 National Electrical Code
We are looking into replacing our stove and the new stove requires a 240v 40amp circuit. Our current stove has a standard receptacle behind it. Do we need a permit to install the new circuit? Is it something I myself can do or must it be done by a professional?
You would need to obtain a permit to do the work and have it inspected. If you hire an electrician make sure they obtain their own permit. If you decide to obtain the permit yourself that permit would be for you to do the work, not anyone else. In order to obtain the permit as a homeowner you must own and occupy the property. Just bring a copy of your deed or a tax bill and a copy of your driver's license to 444 S. 5th St.
During a negotiation to buy a property, it was discovered the home had 2 wire system with no ground. The buyer asked to have a ground run to all electrical outlets. The seller offered to put in gfi outlets and not run a ground. Is this suitable within the city of Louisville electrical codes as being as safe as a ground?
It is acceptable to install GFCI receptacles as long as it is done in accordance with Article 406.3(C)(3) of the 2008 National Electrical Code.
Under KY code, does romex (12/2 and 14/2) wire need to be run through holes drilled in basement floor joists or can it be wire stapled to the underside of the joists?
Article 334.15C National Electrical Code says: Cable smaller than 2 #6's or 3 #8's shall be run on running boards or through bored holes.
I am considering updating my existing service to a 200amp service.Will I need to arc fault all existing 15 & 20 amp circuits throughout house or does this code only apply to new constuction? I have been told both ways and I want to be sure before I spend the extra money on arc fault breakers which cost quite a bit more. Also the main breaker is too high. Can the panel be installed upside down to ensure the main is below the 6'7" rule or do i have to rerun conduit? The existing conduit is already 2".
No you will not need to arc fault existing circuits, however you will need to arc fault any new receptacles or circuits you add. Some panels are designed to be mounted with the main breaker on the top or bottom. You would need to follow the manufacturers instructions for the particular panel you will be using.
In a kitchen island, can the electrical outlets be behind a door or do they have to be exposed?
They cannot be located behind a door. 210.52c5 in the 2005 National Electrical Code says counter top receptacles should be readily accessible.
Where can I get a copy of what is required to be done when updating an exsisting electrical service to a residential service. What code requirements are needed to upgrade an old screw fuse panel to a new circuit breaker panel. Want to increase the number of available circuits.
We are currently using the 2005 National Electrical Code. You can obtain a copy at most electrical supply houses or at your local library.
I need to know the local ordinance height code for the Louisville metro area pertaining to truck traffic and wires.
If it is a privately owned overhead wire it must be at least 18 ft off the ground. If it is a utility owned wire such as LG&E we have no jurisdiction over that. You would need to call LG&E at 589-3500.
My owner wants to put an outlet facing up in the countertop. This will be for a buffet table in a dining room, no water or island. The plug would be 36" and roughly 20" from the front edge. I could not find an answer in the code book. We put them in fireplace mantles and thought his was a similiar situation. Your thoughts?
This would be a direct violation of article 406.4(E)2005 NEC which states "Receptacles shall not be installed in a face up position in countertops or similar work surfaces in a dwelling unit." You're not likely to spill liquids on a fire place mantle nor is it a work surface.
What are the requirements for installation of a residential standby generator, including electrical, natural gas, noise, etc.?
As of the date of this e-mail we are still under the 2005 national electrical code and the installation would have to meet those standards. A permit would need to be obtained by a licensed electrician or yourself if you are going to do the work prior to beginning any work. If you own and occupy the house as your primary residence you can get a homeowners permit to do the work yourself. If anyone else is doing the work they would have to be a licensed electrical contractor and obtain the permit.
I'm interested in running a 110V line to my outdoor shed from the house. Can you tell me what the requirements are?
* Is it ok to bury the line rather than above ground?
* How deep must it be buried?
* Must it be in conduit? What material (metal, PVC, etc)?
* Any length restrictions?
* Any other general restrictions for adding electric to a shed or similar structure?
If you own and occupy the property the law says you can do the installation yourself, if you do not meet this requirement you must get a licensed electrical contractor and a permit from our office is required prior to the start of the work. We are currently using the 2005 edition of the national electrical code.

1. Yes, you can install the wire underground in pipe or direct burial as long as you use the proper type of wire.

2. You will need to follow table 300.5 National electrical code for your type of installation as it will relate to the depth you will need to go.

3. You can install it in any of the types of pipe you have listed. For rigid nonmetallic conduit (PVC) pipe you would need to follow article 352. For types of metal conduit look in articles 342,344 and 358. It can be direct burial cable without pipe if installed correctly. When pipe emerges from the ground it must change over to schedule 80.

4. The further your run you will have a voltage drop. You usually don't have to worry about it until you get over 100'.
I'm having trouble finding ordanices or regulations on requirements on wood stoves on Would appreciate help in this area.
On wood stoves you must follow the manufactures installation manual.
Does Louisville have an electrical code other than the NEC? If so, how can I obtain a copy? What are the inspection requirements?
We are currently using the 2005 NEC without additions or amendments. Inspections are required prior to covering with drywall etc. Another is required for the new electrical service, if applicable, and a final is required when all electrical work is complete.
I am working on getting a HVAC permit for an existing commercial building that has been made into units. All the units were done prior to purchasing the building except for unit #11. It has existing gas meter and existing unit heater but was never hooked up. I need to know if I can run the black piping for the gas line or if it has to be done by a licensed plumber? Secondly, can it be run on the outside of the bulding?
I would have a licensed plumber look at it because of L.G.E. restrictions. Also a permit is required by a licensed H.V.A.C. contractor to install any kind of heating appliance.
I have a wood burning stove to install, but cannot find the specific code guidelines for Metro Louisville. I do see that I will need a permit.
Yes, you are required to obtain a permit , and the stove must meet UL 1482 .The stove must be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.. The instructions must be on location for an inspection.
I have several questions that I want to ask regarding the proper wire size in different situations. 1) For an underground service what size wire would you use for a 200 amp service (copper & aluminum) and a 100 amp service (copper & aluminum)? 2) Is the same size wire used for overhead services as well as long as the type of wire has a W in it? 3) For a waterbond ground, what size wire is minimum for a 200 amp and 100 amp service, both copper and aluminum? 4) What size wire is minimum for 2 ground rods bond where there is no metal water pipe for 200 and 100 amp service, also both copper and aluminum?
We are using the 2005 National Electrical Code. You can find the answers to your questions in the following articles of that code.

1. If it is a residence article 310.15 table (B)(6). If it is a commercial installation article 310.16 ampacity tables.

2. The type of wire you would need to use can be found in article 310.13 tables.

3. The size of the grounding electrode conductor that attaches to a water pipe approved for use as a grounding electrode can be found in article 250.66 table.

4. The answer to that question can be found in article 250.66(A).
I am in the process of evaluating a small start up business in to sell, install and service natural gas powered home standby generators and automatic transfer switches. I am trying to learn what the NEC, state and local codes require to perform this type of work. Do I need to be licensed, or have a licensed plumbers and electricians inspect each installation. What permits and fees are required for installations? Is there a contact phone number you can provide to further assist me with these types of questions?
It is required, that the installation be permitted and installed by licensed electrical contractors and personnel. Optional standby systems are covered in article 700 of the National Electrical Code. As far as the requirements for the gas line installation you will need to call the Kentucky State Plumbing Department.
What is the minimum distance a residential emergency generator can be placed from a house.
The mechanical code makes no reference to portable equipment, you must follow manufacture instructions.
My curcuit breaker box will be upgraded to a 200 amp. box. Question: Do any of the new breakers need to be ark fault circuit breaker?
No. Only if your adding any new receptacles in any of your bedrooms. They would have to AFCI protected.
Can I upgrade my electrical panel without a whole house upgrade? can I have two services to the house until I switch over and upgrade the room device to code?
Yes you can upgrade your panel without doing a whole house upgrade; however, if we see something unsafe in the process of our inspection we will request that you correct it. You can build your new service while the old one is still energized and when your ready to have the new one energized call us for the inspection. LG&E will turn the old one off and the new one on. Then when you get everything switched over give us a call for a final inspection. You will need a minimum of 2 inspections.
1) What is required by code to change an old panel and meter base out to a new 100a service in a single family home?

2) Does anything have to be done to the existing circuits in the home?

3) What would be the proper procedure to get LG&E to shut off power, have it inspected, and then turned back on?
To change your panel, if you are doing the work yourself and you own and occupy the property you will 1st need to obtain an electrical permit, or have your contractor obtain it. 1. As of this date you will need to follow the requirements of the 2005 National Electrical Code when changing your electrical panel. 2. You will not be required to change any existing circuits as long as they are installed correctly and in good working condition. 3. Once you obtain your permit you will have to coordinate with your inspector so you will be without power the shortest amount of time. LG&E will come and turn your power off at anytime you request. However they will not turn it back on until it has been inspected by us.
I plan to purchase a Reliance 6-Circuit, 7500 Watt Emergency Power Transfer Switch Kit Item #: 182534 Model: 30216BRK from Lowes to hook up a portable generator to my home panel box. Do i need any permits since the hook up is not on the utility side of the box.
State and local law says that any electrical work not considered maintenance requires and electrical permit and inspection. If you are installing the generator yourself and you own and occupy the home you can obtain the permit yourself from our office.
i own an older home with an outdoor 100amp service panel and would like to upgrade to an indoor 200amp model (flush mounting the new panel in the living room wall close to the outside meter). 1. does code allow for service panels to be installed in a living space? (ive only ever seen them in basements and closets.) 2. can i simply move the the existing branch circuits to the new panel or does the code require that all wiring, receptacles, etc being connected to the new panel be brought up to code? (the bedroom circuits were put in before the need for afci's and there are a few baseboard receptacles in the home, etc.) 3. does local code allow for the use of a 15 amp breaker (afci or otherwise) in conjunction with 12/2 Nm?
1. Yes you can install the panel in the living room; however you will need to maintain a clear working space in front of the panel, so no couches or chairs in front of the panel. 2. Yes existing circuits can be moved to the new panel without afci protection. If you add any new receptacles in the bedrooms they will have to be AFCI protected. 3. Yes the National Electrical Code allows you to use up to a 20 amp breaker on 12/2 nmc.
Are you inforcing UL 1088 Table 16.2 (A temporary lighting string rated greater that 15 A shall employ conductors not smaller than 12 AWG)? Effective March 1, 2007 Reason I ask is - that there are several projects in town and the same brand of string lights get used all the time and they are not 12AWG.
We typically refer to UL books for listings of products when there is some question of how they should be used or installed. For this situation we use Article 225.6b and 590.4f of the National Electrical Code which does allow you to use conductors smaller than #12 if you have a messenger wire. However, if you know of a location that is voiding the listing and labeling of the temporary lighting they are using we would be happy to investigate if you would like to provide us with that location.
I will be finishing my basement this fall. I have seen on several websites that Ky "will" adopt the 2008 NEC effective 3rd quarter 2008. Will I need AFCI breakers for all of the new circuits in the basement, or just one for the potential bedroom?
The State inspections department makes the decision when to implement the new code. I have not heard any news of when they plan to implement the new code. I can tell you that there will be a 30 day grace period from the date it is adopted. The permits taken out prior to this date will be inspected under the 2005 NEC. Permits are good for 6 months.
My 1956 ranch home is listed for sale. A potential buyer obtained a home inspection, and several items seem to be asking a lot of a 52 year old house. 1. Do fan/light fixtures in a bath need to have GFI protection. They were replaced in one bath in 2004; in a second, 1988; in a third bath, they were present when we bought the house in 1983. Do I have to make the house comply with current code? At what point were GFI's required for bathroom lights?
Typically for bathroom exhaust fans you would follow the manufacturer's installation instructions. There is nothing in the national electrical code that dictates the location of a bathroom exhaust fan. Light fixtures are a different story. The location of lighting fixtures in bathrooms is covered by article 410.4 of the national electrical code. A home inspector has no legal authority to require you to change anything. He is only giving his opinion.
What are my opotions other than using a drain pan on 90+ furnaces. I would be gratful for any imformation you can give me.
Run the primary drain, and put a safe tee switch in the secondary drain plug at the evaporator coil.
What are my limits to doing electrical work myself not being an electrician?
You can do anything classified as maintenance such as, taking a light fixture down and replacing it or replacing a bad receptacle. You can't add anything such as a receptacle or add a light or run any new wire or replace a light with a ceiling fan with out a permit.
I want to put a 10ft x 16ft storage building in my back yard. I have an approximately 1 acre lot. I need to know what permits if any are required. It will be of wooden construction and painted and roofed to match my home. I plan to run electricity to it for lights.
You will need to either obtain the permit for the electrical or have an electrical contractor obtain it prior to starting the work.
To rewire a house you need a permit, however would you need one if you do the work yourself to renovate your single family home.
Yes you would need to obtain a permit prior to beginning the work and have it inspected prior to covering anything up.
I've built a detached garage, but now need to run power to the garage. What depth and conduit requirements are there in Jeff. County? Please include conduit requirements (1. on the side of bldg. and 2 underground), since both will be required. Less than 50 amps are expected to be run over this line and merely provide power for lights and garage door opener.
Prior to performing any electrical work please remember to obtain an electrical permit from this office. Depth for type of conduit you are using is covered in Table 300.5 of the national electrical code. Diameter of the conduit needed will be determined by the size of the wire contained in the conduit. The size of the wire can be found in article 310.16 and the size of the conductor can be determined by chapter 9 table 1, annex c, tables c.1 through c.12(a)of the national electrical code.
I was wondering what is needed to become certified to install fire supression systems in the city.
If you have Ky state certification call George Pate (502-574-3324) for requirements. If you need your state certification call Richard Peddicord (502-573-0385)
Has Louisville adopted the new code of all non-GFCI circuits to be arc-fault protected in a single family dwelling? Also about shared neutrals on common trip breakers.
The new code has not been adopted yet. When the state of Kentucky adopts it that's when it will be enforced. As of today I have only heard speculation of when it will be adopted, nothing official.
I am wanting to replace two prong receptacles with three prong grounded receptacles. I currently have wiring with no ground. Unfortunately it is not metal encased. I would like to run grounding insulated wire to the boxes off of a cold water pipe. While my first choice would be to replace the wiring. The runs make it impossible for me to do this without tearing down lots of drywall. Is running separate grounding wire in this manner acceptable?
That is an acceptable installation according to 250.130 in the National Electrical Code. You also are given alternatives in article 406.3.
28x36 home new built how many 2 amp arc fault needed in such a small apace its a one bedroom
You can find the answer to that question in Article 210.12 of the National Electrical Code. I also noticed your address, If this installation is not in the City of Louisville Ky you should contact your local inspector.
We will be coming to the Walmart sotre located at 175 Outer Loop to replace 18 interior "EXIT" signs with 18 LED Exit signs. Do we need an electrical permit for this? If so, how can I obtain one? I already have a KY Unlimited Electrical and a Master Electricians License.
If you are simply pulling one sign down and replacing it with another and not moving or extending or adding any wiring you will not need an electrical permit.
i am getting ready to finish out my basement by framing some interior walls and running electric to new outlets and can lights...what permits do i need if i am doing the work myself?
If you own and occupy the property you will need to obtain a homeowners electrical permit from the department of Codes and Regulations prior to beginning the work. The office is at 444 S. 5th St. you will need to bring a copy of your deed or a tax bill and your driver's license reflecting that address. While you're here you may also want to check and see if you will require a building permit for the framing.
When i signed my lease and moved into the apartment it stated central air stove etc... Someone had stolen the a/c unit feb'08 i've been speaking with landlord person to replace the unit he's been telling me from the time this occur that he was going to replace my unit it is May 29th and i still have no unit.
That is a legal issue between you and your landlord. Air conditioning is not a code requirement. The code requires a permit, and inspection when the new system is installed.
We have a 10' x 12' storage shed in our back yard, I want to have an electrician run electricity to the shed from our house. The City of Lyndon said that they do not issue permits for electrical, do I need to have a permit from the City of Louisville?
The electrician will need to obtain an electrical permit from us prior to starting the work. If he is a licensed electrician he should know the procedure. If he does not know the procedure I would be suspicious and ask to see his electrical contractor license.
What is "GFI" code? Does it have anyting to do with electric?
GFI or GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. They are mentioned several times in the electrical code book. They are a protective receptacle or breaker that if it senses a fault such as, dropping an electric appliance into a sink of water, will within a fraction of a second, disconnect the power before electrocution occurs. The most common use is in residential settings mentioned in article 210.8(A). The article explains the locations they are required such as; kitchen counter tops, unfinished basements, and bathrooms in new installations.
The power (and cable) to my home enters via the side of the property. The utility pole / transformer and house are in a direct line with the best place to build a garage. Would it be within code to (1) reroute the electric line to an underground service? or (2) route the utility line to the garage, then underground to the house?
Either way could be acceptable. The least expensive would probably be to run completely underground. I would check with the LG&E meter locators and see what they would accept then go from there.
Yesterday, my outside AC unit shut off. I shut of the 2pole 30 amp breaker on my panel board in the house. I inspected the non-fused disconnect box located three feet from the compressor unit and noticed that one of the load side conductor had burned in two at the lug. The original conductors look to be 8 AWG-both line side and load side (wip)to the compressor. I addition I noticed that there was not a "common" wire in the box and that the #14 AWG bare "ground" was being used as both the common and the ground. The outside compressor had been replace 4 1/2 yr ago. I called a local reputable HVAV firm to do the repairs.He assessed the problem and recommended chaged the disconnect box and the melted wip which was 8 AWG. He came back from the truck with a piece of 12/2 rohmex to use as the wip to the compressor. My question is: Is it a code violation to use a bare copper wire 14 AWG for both common and gnound? I was told by the HVAC man that since this was an old service that the use of a separate common is not required.
The nameplate on the A/C unit should tell you the maximum size over current device (breaker or fuse) allowed for that piece of equipment. The wire from the 30 amp breaker to the disconnect sounds adequate size however, the wip size is too small for a 30 amp breaker. Should be a 10/2 minimum or change the breaker to a 20amp.
Does electrical code require a dedicated circuit for a Microwave?
Article 210.52 does not require a dedicated circuit for the microwave. However, it does prevent some nuisance breaker trips if its on with other appliances such as; toasters, coffee makers, etc.
I have a microwave/ hood vent - instructions say the top of the microwave needs to be a minimum of 66" off the floor. Is there an electrical code that says it has to be a certain height off the floor ?
Not that I'm aware of, however, manufacturers instructions supersede the electrical code if the manufacturer's instructions are more stringent than the Electrical Code.
I have a commercial building in Norton Commons in Eastern Jefferson County that will have a retail space in the front of the building and an efficiency apartment in the rear. Can I service both areas with a single heating-cooling system? The owner of the business will be the resident of the apartment and zoning will be installed to allow independent operation of heating and coolng between the spaces.
Not based on the 2006 international energy code ( 101.4.5)Mixed occupancy. That building is most likely r-4 plus the fact you have fire rating issues.
when will we know when the 2008 code changes for electrical go into effect. What allowances will be made for panel changeouts in home with wiring of shared neutrals which make arc faults nuisance trip. Also supply houses will not have sufficient stock until early 2009 , what do we do when arc faults are not available
Only newly added circuits or receptacles will be required to meet the requirements for arc-fault protection in the new code. If you are changing only the panel there will be no requirement to add the arc-faults. I have asked several supply house owners locally if the arc-faults will be available at that time and they told me they can order as many as needed right now and have them here within a few days. As for when the 2008 Code you will go into effect you will have to call Ken Leathers the state Chief Electrical Inspector, they announce that and I haven't heard anything
I have a Federal Pacific Electric Stab-Lok Service Panel in my home. Numerous reports on the internet question the safety of these panels. Does your department have any information about the safety of these panels? Should this panel be replaced?
This myth has been perpetuated over the internet for some time now. I have heard that several home inspectors are telling people they have to change these panels and that they are dangerous or outlawed, which they have no authority to do. Like any other brand of panel, these are looked at on a case by case basis. One reason for changing them is if you can find a breaker replacement they are quite expensive. Also, if they are not installed or maintained correctly you can have problems with them. If there is some concern about your panel I would have a licensed electrician come and take a look at it and if he says it needs to be changed I would take his advice.
Please settle a discussion that my HVAC contractor and myself are having...HE has put in a 92.1 furance with two PVC vents going thru the roof. My question is should the exhaust use two 90's blowing down on to the roof or one 90'blowing out to the air or no elbows at all,blowing striaght up. Also the air intake should have 2 90's and be a min. of two feet above max. snow fall and have a screen at the end yes or no . What is the code for this and/or what is best?
Each manufacture has the recommendation for the termination of their product . Have the h.v.a.c. contractor show you the instructions
I am working in a manufacturing plant where there are product lines being relocated. The feeder conduit is 1" and contains over 10 current carrying conductors in it. Are you suppose to calculate the overcurrent protection at 50% based on Table 310.15 (B)(2)(a)? For instance a #12 THHN copper wire is rated for 30 amps and it now would be rated at 15 amps.

Another question is: if there are code violations for instance inadequate working space from live parts, cord connectors being used in unsafe manners, 600 volt fuses used on 250 volt circuits, exposed wiring, just to mention a few, what is recourse to get these corrected. I have mentioned them to the Plant Engineer and it has gone on deaf ears. I am a temporary employee and will be let go if I push the issue very much. My main concern is for the safety of the 180 employees of this plant. This company is a maker of paper products and have never had a major fire YET. Is there a whistle blower policy for Master Electricians. Please return my e-mail with a response.
Yes, you must use the derating factors according to 310.15(B)(2)(a) as long as none of the four exceptions apply. The answer to your 2nd question is yes we can do an onsite inspection and keep you anonymous. Just give us the address of the property and the location of the violations and we will send an inspector to the location.
Does code permit for a bath exhaust fan to be installed where an existing light is located over the tub as long it is wire thru a GFI circuit? I have an older home built in the mid 70's in Hunting Creek that needs a bath exhaust. Are there any special requirement for a exhaust fan/heater?
This sounds like an acceptable installation. The fan should be listed for a damp location. Check manufacturers installation instructions to determine if GFCI protection is required. Same goes for a Fan/Heater. Most Fan/Heaters need a separate circuit to be run because of the amount of amperage required. Both installations require a permit and inspection from our office.
I am wanting to use natural gas as my fuel source for my new grill. My grill is located 20 ft from the house on my attached wood deck. What is the proper way, by code, to run a branch off my gas line in the basement, out through the house and under my deck 20 ft to the grill. Is running a gas line under a deck this distance acceptable? What type of piping needs to be used under the deck?
Schedule 40 pipe is recommended,and must be elevated not less than three and one half inches above ground. The pipe must be strapped every ten feet, and where the pipe passes through an outside wall, the pipe needs to be protected against corrosion by coating or wrapping with an inert material.The annular space between the piping and the sleeve shall be sealed.Check your manufacturer's specification to place this grill on a combustible surface.
Do light bulbs in a passenger elevator need to be tough coated or not? At this present time the bulbs are tough coated, but these bulbs are incondesent, am I am lookig to go green by changing these over to florescent. But all the florscent bulbs are glass and are not shatter resistant. Can I do this without violating the electrical codes?
I am not aware of any electrical code that would prevent you from installing those types of lights in the elevator car. However, you may want to check with the state elevator inspector's office. You can find their phone # in the blue pages or online.
We are working with a clothing retailer that will be opening a store in the Oxmoor Center later this year. I writing to ask if there are any local or state code requirements that would require us to provide electrical conduit for our speaker and video wiring? We currently run only Plenum rated wire.
At this time the city or state has no special requirements for low voltage installations nor does it require a license or permit to install. It will have to meet the minimum installation requirements of the 2005 National Electrical Code.
What is the amount of freshair intake and exhaust on a 25,000 square foot parking garage that is completly enclosed located below a mulifamily two story building.
The international mechanical code ( table 403.3) requires 1.5cfm/ft2 or section (404.2) a engineered system.
I was needing to upgrade the service to my house from 60 amps to 100 amps, perhaps even 200. I used to live in Illinois so I wasn't sure what the differences were in code requirements. What is required for this upgrade? (i.e. meter height, conductor size, ground rods, responsibility of utility company, etc.)
The meter height and location are determined by the LG&E meter location department. The service requirements are in the 2005 national electrical code article 230. We require 2 ground rods and a water ground. Conductor sizes for your service can be found in article 310.16 and grounding conductor sizes can be found in article 250. in the code book. Be sure to apply for your permit prior to beginning any work.