Stairs, Porches & Fire Escapes
All stairs….good repair
- Every exterior and interior flight of stairs having more than four risers, and every open portion of a stair, landing or balcony, which is more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below shall have guards
- Every handrail and guard shall be firmly fastened and capable of supporting normally imposed loads and shall be maintained in good condition .
- Handrails shall not be less than 30 inches (762 mm) and no more than 42 inches (1067 mm) high, measured vertically above the nosing of the tread or above the finished floor of the landing, walking surfaces or grade.
- Guards shall not be less than 30 inches (762 mm) high above the floor of the landing, balcony or grade.
- Any alteration, modification, addition or replacement of a handrail or guard shall be in conformity with the applicable state building code requirements.
- All stairways, fire escapes, and similar overhang extensions of residential structures and vacant structures shall be maintained in good repair and be properly anchored so as to be kept in a safe and sound condition.
- They shall be protected from the elements and against decay and rust by the periodic application of a weather-coating material such as paint or other protective equipment.