Anyone planning to host an event that will involve closing public rights-of-ways (streets, sidewalks or alleys) must notify all affected residents and businesses at least 30 days before an event.
Anyone planning to host an event that will involve state-maintained rights-of-way must also notify the Permitting Division of the Kentucky Department of Transportation, District Five at (502) 367-6411.
Proof of notification of all neighbors and other parties affected by a street closure must be attached to a Special Event Permit application before it will be considered by ABC/Permits and Licenses Division.
The recommended notification procedure for closing public streets, alleys and rights-of-way is as follows:
- An event producer must contact all affected businesses and/or residents if an upcoming event will require street closing(s);
- At least 75% of all affected businesses and/or residents must sign a street-closing petition;
- An event producer may be able to request assistance from the Louisville Metro Police Department, the
Louisville Metro Office for Business Services, the Louisville Metro Department of Neighborhoods, Louisville Central Area, the Main Street Association and other organizations in contacting downtown and neighborhood business associations about the details of a street closure;
- An event producer can ask for signage to be placed along affected streets several days prior to an event (fee involved);
- An event producer can also ask for bags to be placed on parking meters along affected streets several days prior to an event (fee involved);
- An event producer must send a Street Closing press release and camera-ready Site Map to all media at least two weeks prior to an event.
For further information, contact:
Louisville Metro Codes and Regulations Department
Permits and Licenses Division
444 S. Fifth Street, Suite 200
Louisville, KY 40202
(502) 574-5245 fax
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
977 Phillips Lane
Louisville, KY 40209
(502) 363-6170 fax