CLEAN UP PLANS / GO GREEN AND LITTER-FREE EVENTS
An event producer submitting an application to the Louisville Metro Codes and Regulations Department/Permits and Licenses Division for a Special Event Permit must submit a clean-up plan with the application.
The clean-up plan must include the following information:
- A drawing or site map of the festival or event area, showing the types and locations of dumpsters and individual trash receptacles;
- The names and contact information of individuals and/or groups responsible for cleaning up during and after the festival or event;
- The location(s) where all waste, including cooking oils, will be disposed of in an approved manner.
Note: Anyone who disposes of cooking oils or waste into Louisville Metro drainage sewers or sidewalk openings will be subject to fines and punishments pursuant to Chapter 224 of the Kentucky Revised Statutes.
Each Louisville Metro owned venue has its own clean-up fees, surety bond requirements and clean-up plans and procedures. Clean-up fees and surety bonds may be refunded or waived by an individual venue once an event's clean-up plan is approved.
If an event producer fails to clean up a venue adequately or causes damage to Louisville Metro property or facilities, Louisville Metro will bill the event producer for the costs to clean and repair the damaged property. If this occurs, Louisville Metro may also deny an application for a future Special Event Permit or require a cash deposit or surety bond for future events produced by that event producer.
Event producers are responsible for prompt cleanup and removal of debris from all Louisville Metro streets, rights-of-ways, affected property owners' sidewalks, steps and alcoves.
Subject to their availability, Louisville Metro may be able to provide the following list of cleaning equipment and services to events for a fee:
Packer driver and truck
Roll off driver and truck
Sweeper driver and sweeper
Flusher driver and flusher
30 cubic yard container
20 cubic yard container
8 cubic yard container
Delivery and return carts/containers
For further information, contact:
Louisville Metro Public Works Department
Solid Waste Management Division
600 Meriwether Avenue
Louisville, KY 40217
(502) 574-4155 fax
Clean-Up Plans / Litter-Free Events
Brightside would like to partner with event organizers in "Keeping Louisville Clean and Green" by having a Litter-Free Event.
If you would like your event to be a "Litter-Free Event," you may indicate this on your Special Event Permit application.
You will be required to:
- Announce Brightside as a partner during your event;
- Provide adequate number of volunteers to oversee and implement the clean-up plan;
- Recycle aluminum cans and plastic bottles;
- List Brightside as a partner and include its logo on any printed event material. (Brightside can provide the logo on a disk, e-mail or mail).
As a "Litter-Free Event," you will receive the following:
- Freestanding "Litter-Free" signs. Posting these at your event encourages participants to be more aware of minimizing litter;
- Brightside t-shirts for volunteers (when available);
- A limited number of trash bags for volunteers recruited by event producers for picking up litter throughout the event;
- Receptacles for collecting aluminum cans or plastic. By utilizing these recycling containers you are providing another opportunity to reduce, reuse, recycle, restore and rethink.
Event organizers are responsible for taking recyclable materials to a recycling drop-off location.
For a listing of locations, visit www.louisvilleky.gov/solidwaste or call MetroCall at 311 or 574-5000.
For further information, contact:
400 S. First Street
Louisville, KY 40202
(502) 574-2792 fax