Sheltering in Place
SHELTERING IN PLACE
Some emergency may require you to protect yourself either by evacuating the area or by immediately seeking shelter inside a building. If one of these actions is required, you will receive instructions through radio and television broadcasts.
What To Do If Sheltering In Place Is Necessary?
- Bring all family members and pets inside the home.
- Close and lock all doors and windows. Turn off all heating, cooling and ventilation systems including attic and window fans. Close dampers in fireplaces.
- Everyone needs to go to a pre-designated shelter room. Place a combination of plastic and duct tape around all doors, windows and electrical outlets in that room.
- Take your emergency-supply kit in room with you.
- Listen to radio and television broadcasts for further instructions.
- Do not leave your shelter area until local officials give an “ALL CLEAR.”
- After the “ALL CLEAR” is given, opens doors and windows to ventilate.